Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild World Map - Community Challenge

OK, I'm very confused. I am not a cartographer so I may be missing something basic, but I am very good at geometry.

JE's most recent map is divided along the equater into 24 equal sections ( Equatorials? ) so 360 degrees divided by 24 is 15 degrees. so each section is 15 degrees.

If I paste JE's original scale onto that same map, and ignore that it says 10 deg. it fits almost perfectly between 2 equatorial lines, if so then 24 x 525 miles = a circumference of 12,600 miles Half of earth.

If I paste JBGibsons top scale onto the map, then one section measures about 380 miles giving a circumference of 9120 miles. Very small, about the same as Mercury.

Now if I am incorrect in my assumption that everything was posted at the same scale, then this is all wrong.

However if I look at my Island ( map 8 ) which lies on the equator and superimpose these scales on it JEdwards scale makes my island about 740 miles long and JBGibson's makes it about 580 miles.
    Both are pretty reasonable sizes.

If I ignore the scales and go with JBGibson's figure of 15 degrees = 1894 miles, then my island is about 2500 miles long or 80% as wide as the United States. That just does not fit.

Even if I assume the planet is exactly the same size as the earth and each equatorial is 1000 miles, my island is still over 1500 miles long, slightly more reasonable but still off.

So, what am I misunderstanding?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GuildWorldDistance.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	82378
    Last edited by Bogie; 04-11-2016 at 01:20 AM.

I am about off to bed so I can't get too much into it right now, but here's a pick of the scale with your islands from the earlier base map [before new lands were added].
    This should be the scale everyone should be using. I'll talk more tomorrow. Sorry for any trouble Bogie.
    I figured increasing the globe's size was going to cause some problems.

Name:	Guild World Map old base - Bogie.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	484.6 KB 
ID:	82379

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    OK, I'm very confused. I am not a cartographer so I may be missing something basic, but I am very good at geometry.

JE's most recent map is divided along the equater into 24 equal sections ( Equatorials? ) so 360 degrees divided by 24 is 15 degrees. so each section is 15 degrees.

If I paste JE's original scale onto that same map, and ignore that it says 10 deg. it fits almost perfectly between 2 equatorial lines, if so then 24 x 525 miles = a circumference of 12,600 miles Half of earth.

If I paste JBGibsons top scale onto the map, then one section measures about 380 miles giving a circumference of 9120 miles. Very small, about the same as Mercury.

Now if I am incorrect in my assumption that everything was posted at the same scale, then this is all wrong.

However if I look at my Island ( map 8 ) which lies on the equator and superimpose these scales on it JEdwards scale makes my island about 740 miles long and JBGibson's makes it about 580 miles.
    Both are pretty reasonable sizes.

If I ignore the scales and go with JBGibson's figure of 15 degrees = 1894 miles, then my island is about 2500 miles long or 80% as wide as the United States. That just does not fit.

Even if I assume the planet is exactly the same size as the earth and each equatorial is 1000 miles, my island is still over 1500 miles long, slightly more reasonable but still off.

So, what am I misunderstanding?

Name:	GuildWorldDistance.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	82378
    The concept of scale and projection on this map is messed up beyond repair at this point so there's not much point in worrying. Either that or the planet is cylindrical rather than a sphere.
    Last edited by Hai-Etlik; 04-11-2016 at 02:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    The concept of scale and projection on this map is messed up beyond repair at this point so there's not much point in worrying. Either that or the planet is cylindrical rather than a sphere.
    We are on a spinning rocket hurtling through space.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson
    Thanks for the clarification, J.Edward. For anybody that wants kilometers without calculating, or who like me cares that the E-W scale is going to differ hugely by latitude, here's a set I made. There's a bit of the 15 degree grid framing them as a sanity check, in case you're working at expanded or reduced scale. Bottom to top these are equatorial (or N-S anywhere), 32° N or S, 49° N or S, and 67° N or S. I get 1894 miles per equatorial 15°.
    I don't think accurate spherical scaling was never going to be a thing for this map , as it gets way too complicated, and also everything is moving around as the sphere grows.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    We are on a spinning rocket hurtling through space.
    Haha, great idea!

I don't think accurate spherical scaling was never going to be a thing for this map , as it gets way too complicated, and also everything is moving around as the sphere grows.
    Agreed. Maybe we should go with this.....

Name:  bob.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  10.2 KB

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    This is now a Very Large Planet. Circumference by my reckoning is 45456 miles (Earth is 24860 mi).

This is incorrect.
    From what I observed, my country had its southern shore translated some 10° northwards while its northern shore stayed broadly at the same latitude.
    The N/S distance is alpha x R where alpha (in radians) is the difference between the N and S latitudes and R the radius of the planet.
    So if I assume that R didn't change, this N/S distance has decreased by (alpha (original) - alpha (new)) x R, e.g ~0.17 x R = 0.17x 5 000 = 850 km
    This distance was originally approx 3 250 km so that it has to be decreased by 850/3250 ~25 % what is not so much .

Conclusion :

The planet didn't become bigger but the countries became SMALLER. There is Nothing to be changed with the radius, so gravity, climate etc is as initially described .
    But as NOTHING changed with the radius, Nothing changed with the angular scale. We have still 10° = 850 km like on day 1. If you want to know the distances of your country, you just multiply angles in degrees by 85 km.
    This scale is ONLY defined for the equator and all longitudinal circles.
    If one wanted to have finer scales taking in account the distortion with latitude, it would be necessary to do several scales by latitude bands like what jbgibson did.

I feel like this is all missing the point - which was to have a fun time mapping and celebrating that this site has reached 10 years online.
    We were trying to be inclusive, which lead to more land masses to include more people. Which lead to some complications, I guess.
    You all can choose what you want to focus on. It's a community project after all.
    I have maps to make though, so I can't really participate in this part of it atm.

Sorry JE, I didn't mean to stir the pot. And I agree that this is a fun project that shouldn't get hung up in the details. Mostly I was curious if my island was 500 miles wide or 2500 miles or somewhere in between. sounds like it is in between, works for me. Thanks.

Blog Entries

I have made a start on putting the regions into the main map. Lots more to do. These are the mostly finished ones or very easy to do ones. Just thought you would all like to see how its looking...

Edit: See the place index sticky now for a latest version of this image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WorldMapWithRegions.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	737.1 KB 
ID:	82401  
    Last edited by Redrobes; 04-12-2016 at 06:04 PM.

Pretty neat.

Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast