Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild World Map - Community Challenge

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Looking Good RedRobes. I noticed you included my Islands already. It looks cool but I have a long way to go to be finished. When I do finish I plan to post a version on a transparent backgound without the water so it will be easier for you to include it.
    Its no problem - I dont need a transparent background. For yours its particularly easy since your an island. The most difficult one so far has definitely been that interesting one by Amonite. But lucklity he posted his first WIP with a border still on it so I took that one. I can update the map with new WIPs quite easily. The work is in the initial version I put up and then once thats done its much easier.

Not sure where were going with the sea tho. At present I am just fading out some places and not being all that particular with it. Maybe later the sea will drop on top of it.

On my next version, I will have the surrounding lands greyed out (or something) since I'm not planning to map it. At least, not map it until the rest is done.

Hey all, been working on a number of non-guild related projects that I thought I'd have finished a week ago. As it stands I don't know that I'll have time to begin, let alone finish my map within the dates of this project. I still intend to complete my map, but sadly it will have to wait for a latter date.

On the positive side, I'm amazed at the turnout for this project. It's great to see so much involvement by the community. Kudos everyone.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Hey all, been working on a number of non-guild related projects that I thought I'd have finished a week ago. As it stands I don't know that I'll have time to begin, let alone finish my map within the dates of this project. I still intend to complete my map, but sadly it will have to wait for a latter date.

On the positive side, I'm amazed at the turnout for this project. It's great to see so much involvement by the community. Kudos everyone.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    No worries Arsheesh
    Many will not be done by the 20th, including me, so we'll post up what we have at that time with lots of fog-of-war
    But the project will keep going after that date so it's no problem.
    The project has grown beyond the original more simple vision that it started from. Which is awesome.
    I'm really enjoying seeing everyone's progress. I've not been as active as I was to start it, as work needed to be done.
    I'll be doing more this weekend.

And a big thanks to Redrobes for stepping up and stepping in here.

The project has outstripped the simple acknowledgement of the tenth anniversary into a monument for the guild. It's pretty great, and I think it reflects a depth of feeling for the community here.

I don't think I'll be totally done by the 20th either...

Oh man, I've barely started. I've got nothing beyond a landmass
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

I was busybodying myself with thoughts about climate so I sketched out this quick and dirty map of oceanic currents just to work it out, assuming our world rotates the same as Earth.

Cold water currents carry drier air, so coastlines alongside cold currents (Chile, Spain, California, Namibia etc) are much drier than otherwise for their latitude, coastlines alongside warm currents much wetter than otherwise for their latitude (UK, Brazil, Japan). It actually works quite nicely for my own country which is generally warm and damp, and Niir next door has a big desert slap bang where the cold current hits the coast.

Thoughts?

Also might be nice to agree on names for the big oceans, I've browsed maps but no-one seems to be naming seas/oceans that much.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ocean currents.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	763.7 KB 
ID:	82525
    Last edited by Robulous; 04-14-2016 at 06:16 PM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Alas, my map (no. 7) is mostly a cold place. :/ Though I think it's going to be hard to incorporate all the individual climates together, but it'll be interesting to see how you try!

Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    Alas, my map (no. 7) is mostly a cold place. :/ Though I think it's going to be hard to incorporate all the individual climates together, but it'll be interesting to see how you try!
    Maybe you've got some undersea volcanic activity increasing sea water temperatures and contributing to a more interesting local climate...

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    At 20-30 S #7 is tropical, but its coast only has a warmish temperate current, and it's straight in the path of cool air currents from the antarctic. So probably damp and cloudy. If you have high mountains that would also make it colder.
    Last edited by Robulous; 04-14-2016 at 06:57 PM.

Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast