Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild World Map - Community Challenge

So, to summarize:

The circumference of the world at the equator is 24 000 miles / 38624.256 km.
    The latitude position remains the same. Meaning that we do not expand the seas.

Looks good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Any chance we can get the scale added to the world map?
    I'll get that on the next map update - hopefully tonight.

I'm in a similar boat to arsheesh. I'm about a 3rd of the way through labels and towns on my commission and I got a call to go in tonight for my real job. I'm also going to the NAB show in Vegas this week so I will be pretty slammed until the end of next week. Even then I'll have to wrap up my commission project. I'm totally in for doing this so don't give my plot away. I'll get it done for sure, just now sure how soon I'll be on it. I'm thinking a couple weeks if everything goes smoothly.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I just dropped the new scale [1000 mile scale] into my map and realized how big it was
    So I made a smaller 500 mile scale for people to use if they wanted one that didn't take up so much space.
    I put that on page 1.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 04-17-2016 at 02:15 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Yeah, I had to cut your scale in half on my map. Either that, or work it into the map itself somehow.

Tomorrow is the actual official 10th anniversary day...
    Ideally we'd be doing up and showing the big map... but most of us aren't done, or some of us aren't done.
    I'll try to think up something cool for today, but I'm too tired right now. Must sleep.
    No worries about being done by today

I just wanted to actually 'say' it - this is all for the fun of doing it.
    If it's beginning to feel too much like work, don't feel stressed or pressured to do more than you want to.
    Some will want to dig deeper. Others may not, and that's ok.
    We'll composite all the maps we have, at whatever level they're at. [not sure on this yet - must chat with Redrobes ]

I have a smaller idea if people want a bit of a break from larger maps.
    I was going to put little national shields or symbols with each nation name.
    If people want to make some shield or heraldic symbol of state to add to their country, we can do that.
    If it just sounds like more work - we don't have to do it. Just an idea of something lighter/smaller.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

You know I'd DEFINITELY be up for designing a shield/banner/etc for my dudes.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    You know I'd DEFINITELY be up for designing a shield/banner/etc for my dudes.
    Nobody was expecting differently ;D

I'd be up for that too, sounds great, if it doesn't need to be any specific shape. I'm thinking some kind of rock/bone/plants totem.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    We'll composite all the maps we have, at whatever level they're at. [not sure on this yet - must chat with Redrobes
    I did that late last night just after the cut off. Every latest map (land areas) from everyone is in there. Its not a problem to update the maps if people stick to the same image size and shapes. The only ones that are a lot of effort are the ones where people take a photo of hand drawn ones so I have updated them a bit infrequently. But I did make sure that last night those were at latest too. Luckily we only have about two or three of those out of the 50.

I did the sea but its not all that great so if anyone wants to do one then by all means go for it. I need to touch up the sea around Max's land as there are some islands there that have moved from the originial land and I used the world map and noticed they were out at the end.

I'm uploading at 4096x2048 but if you want one at a different res then let me know. Its hard to upload one single image much bigger than that but if robbie can enable it with Java etc then I can easily do a bigger one using the google styled leaflet.js

If people want a movie uploaded to YouTube with a fly past around it at higher res then let me know as thats also quite easy. At this stage without lots of smaller maps embedded into it, I am not sure what thats going to give you. But once we have regional maps too overlaid on top then its pretty cool. I have been doing that with Falconius's map already since he did the island as a sub map on his main image.

If I export it at current 4K res then the map res at snodsy / Max area looks like the little unclickable one shown but if I export at 16K by 8K which is what it would be for the leaflet js map then it would look like the larger clickable image. Its a lot better but bear in mind that if you embed cities on to it then they are then still going to look really small even on that. But for the world map it would look great. Also, I do have a script in place already that could allow links from the main leaflet map to the city map attachment. I'm just not sure how to embed a leaflet map directly into our bulletin software but as a stand alone page or embedded frame its pretty easy to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FalconiusEmbed.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	82778   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Res_16K.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	214.1 KB 
ID:	82780  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Redrobes; 04-21-2016 at 05:51 AM.

Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast