Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild World Map - Community Challenge

No, I mean an actual interactive map on a webpage, with clickable countries and icons. It'd be a whole lot more work, but I think it'd provide another way of compiling all the maps into one, whilst retaining definition.
    Say that you wanted to visit a city in J. Edward's country. You'd load up the map of the world, and then click on his country. The map of the world would fade out , and his map would appear. You could then click the city you wanted to look at, and then the map of that city would load. Meanwhile, throughout all this, there could be a sidebar with any information, stories or timelines that the cartographer wanted to add.

It's a far-fetched idea, but it could be fun for someone who wanted to do a bit of programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Corilliant View Post
    No, I mean an actual interactive map on a webpage, with clickable countries and icons. It'd be a whole lot more work, but I think it'd provide another way of compiling all the maps into one, whilst retaining definition.
    Say that you wanted to visit a city in J. Edward's country. You'd load up the map of the world, and then click on his country. The map of the world would fade out , and his map would appear. You could then click the city you wanted to look at, and then the map of that city would load. Meanwhile, throughout all this, there could be a sidebar with any information, stories or timelines that the cartographer wanted to add.

It's a far-fetched idea, but it could be fun for someone who wanted to do a bit of programming.
    Oh yes, that would be very cool, I've thought of that before. We'll see what they do in the end, for now everyone still needs to finish their maps!

Oh course there's no way you could map every single city, but at least a few (I've started mapping a few of mine) and having information with it would be cool too.

I had the idea of a booklet, continuing to develop the world for a while then eventually compile everything into a booklet that you could download or print with city maps, regional maps, and information and stuff but the interactive map you mentioned would be really good too. Either way a lot of work lands on someone, but I agree, that would be very cool.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Corilliant View Post

That's an excellent idea - and the finished product would be Something that nobody had ever seen here or elsewhere.
    Besides I have almost written a story for every place identified on the map so that I'd just need a town map or a picture of the place and I'd almost have what you say.
    Of course that'd need somebody with not only available time but especially with very good programming knowledge.

Btw for some Strange reason my map doesn't appear in the composite map .

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Actually, it has been done and seen elsewhere before. Campaign Cartographer can do that stuff. It is built into the program. They call it making an interactive atlas. Way back in 1999 Wizards of the Coast contracted the people who make Campaign Cartographer, the Profantasy company, to make them one for the Forgotten Realms. They mapped out the entire known world of the Forgotten Realms, with every supplement they could find for the Dungeons and Dragons game. It let you see the world from the view of a spinning globe, a flat map of the entire planet, the continent of Faerun, etc. It let you click on cities and get information on those cities. In some cases you could also click on specific buildings and get info on them as well. It also allowed you to do this for some dungeons and ships and a lot of different things. They had different zoom levels for maps too.

Sadly, it was done in 1999, when graphics were not as good as they are now. So all of the graphics are from Campaign Cartographer 2. And unfortunately, Wizards of the Coast has not given Profantasy permission to re-make the atlas using newer graphics. So it languishes in cc2 graphics...

It is called the Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas. Luckily I own it so I am able to re-make maps for it if I wish and create my own atlas for my own personal use. So far I haven't done that but I could.

Now all of that stuff was made using CC2, and I am certain I could do it if every map were made using CC3+, but as far as I know, only my map in the Cartographer's Guild Birthday Mapping Challenge is made with cc3+. So I am not sure I would be able to make an interactive atlas using other people's maps. hmm...you've got me curious now...I need to research this.

You can do the clicky map thing directly in HTML without any fancy anything else ( http://leafletjs.com/examples/choropleth.html shows how to do that sort of thing directly in the leaflet js framework that is bring used for the GuildWorld map).

I remember writing the Globe thing for ProFantasy as part of the FRIA way back when. I couldn't generate a decent-looking map, but I could write a bit of code (however badly). I spliced together the Globe maps from a bunch of things, including the one WotC map that they used for the intro video. The errors in the link maps were all my own doing, of course. An updated version of the Globe program is still kicking around my hard disk, but the world has moved one in the last 17 years...

Yeah! That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. Now, if there were some way of making it a bit more advanced, so that it would load maps and icons...
    ...but Josiah's right; first the maps need to be finished

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

I think someone proposed having a zoomable map with Leaflet? There's a way of having clickable boxes and links etc, I've experimented with Leaflet but not managed to pull it off so I'd be interested to see it.

I created this little animation to show you guys what I meant. I'm no good with words.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	output_glDSkf.gif 
Views:	56 
Size:	791.3 KB 
ID:	83146

Lovely little animation, that's exactly what I thought you meant. Although not quite like your idea Azelor posted this link a few pages back, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qELcbKXdRm8
    I thought the video was super cool, it's from the Cooperative World Building Project many years back.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

The level of detail and comprehensiveness is limited only by our time and ability...
    Redrobes has the zoomable map going already with leaflet.js and if others have skills to bring to this - we can make it whatever people want to do, so long as the help is there.
    We can definitely create a DL booklet, though size might be tricky to post here on the Guild.
    My thought would be that some basic page layouts would be set up with basic font sizes and requirements for continuity.
    Each person would do the text for their page(s) within that layout. It'd reduce the work for one person but would maintain a consistency of look.
    When the maps are closer to completed, we can work out what that should look like.

I'm happy to keep doing more with this so long as the desire is there with everyone.
    Some will likely stop after their map is made, others will want to continue.
    But it can be worked out.

I like that little animation Corilliant

Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast