Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild World Map - Community Challenge

Neat. I'm keeping my jungles anyway though :p

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

is there a scale we should all stick to? it would be weird if the scale changes from user-to-user! if this was already mentioned, sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    is there a scale we should all stick to? it would be weird if the scale changes from user-to-user! if this was already mentioned, sorry!
    There's a scale on page 2 that is accurate to all of the maps I posted on page 1

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    There's a scale on page 2 that is accurate to all of the maps I posted on page 1
    thanks, that's the last question for now :p) I swear!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    Thanks for making all of these J.Edward. It's nice to know where I am on the map globally.
    Seconded! Now I know my nation's climate is...much like where I live now.

Updating that map
    Maybe people can think about and talk about some names for the oceans and seas and other water features near them.
    I'd like to add some of those names to the big map at some point.
    We've got a lot of interesting discussions going about the lands and cultures.
    I'm loving the ideas people are putting out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guild World Map base - numbered countries 8.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	3.43 MB 
ID:	82022

And here's that scale again, in case people missed it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World scale - 10 degrees [525 miles].png 
Views:	33 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	82014
    Last edited by J.Edward; 04-04-2016 at 12:04 PM.

Il Mareus Kase... that's a lovely jibberish name (and one only a northerner could come up with i guess ) ! When i look at the whole thing again, i think it would be great if there would be some more participants, and thereby more islands in the west. Could be called "Sea of the small fishes" or "Mareus della klitzekleine Pesco" or something along these lines^^
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Il Mareus Kase... that's a lovely jibberish name (and one only a northerner could come up with i guess ) ! When i look at the whole thing again, i think it would be great if there would be some more participants, and thereby more islands in the west. Could be called "Sea of the small fishes" or "Mareus della klitzekleine Pesco" or something along these lines^^
    I laid out lands in the west but didn't show them since we have all the lands filled right now.
    Those land masses are bigger than islands though, as I wanted any newcomers to have a decent country to map.
    But if we don't have anyone else ask to join then I'll do up some proper islands for that area.

Il Mareus Kase - half gibberish
    Mare - sea this is Latin for sea, Mer - french for sea, Mareus - nice proximity to real word
    Kase - cheese [or close to it] caseus - latin, queso - spanish, caise - scots-gaelic, kase - german [as you know ]
    Il... well, just a twist on el, le, la, etc...

Munnen is the Mouth in swedish, for Lingon and Saer - just a mashup of sea and mare

I try to avoid too much straight english if the setting seems to be non-english

I thought it was derived from languages, "meer" is lake in Dutch and it's sort of similar, and "Kaas" is cheese.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I laid out lands in the west but didn't show them since we have all the lands filled right now.
    Those land masses are bigger than islands though, as I wanted any newcomers to have a decent country to map.
    But if we don't have anyone else ask to join then I'll do up some proper islands for that area.

Il Mareus Kase - half gibberish
    Mare - sea this is Latin for sea, Mer - french for sea, Mareus - nice proximity to real word
    Kase - cheese [or close to it] caseus - latin, queso - spanish, caise - scots-gaelic, kase - german [as you know ]
    Il... well, just a twist on el, le, la, etc...

Munnen is the Mouth in swedish, for Lingon and Saer - just a mashup of sea and mare

I try to avoid too much straight english if the setting seems to be non-english
    Yeah, more of a "gibberish" composition, not totally made up ofc. But it's a fun idea for a creolic "lingua franca" of the whole continent, having bits and pieces of all the languages mashed up.

For the islands in the west, i just thought about this iconic picture here
    You've already done so much for this awesome project John (thank you so much, really enjoying it!), so it was just a not too serious idea.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast