Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Map 15 - Hallanicus (Tonnichiwa's Land)

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Oh, ok, How's this? (I'm using cc3+ by the way with the Mike Schley overland style. )

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cartographer's Guild Birthday World Map10.PNG 
Views:	31 
Size:	6.55 MB 
ID:	82085  

I think the problem is something CC3 might be doing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cartographer's Guild Birthday World Map10.PNG 
Views:	40 
Size:	672.4 KB 
ID:	82087
    It looks like there is a 1-2 pixel area between the letters and the outline that is transparent, which is not good.
    I think that was causing the issue before with the yellow.

Have you thought about doing the labeling in another program? GIMP is free, as is Krita and others.
    There's an article I did a while back with free and low price apps and we can point you to font sites like dafont.com.
    It just seems like CC3's options are somewhat limited where text is concerned.

Edit - here's the article I was talking about.

Oh, I see. Your saying it would be better if the lettering fit inside of a gray box that would block out the mountain in the background and only let the letters of the word show. I'm sure I could figure out how to do that.

Yep, I've thought about doing the lettering and editing of my maps in both photoshop and Gimp. I've got both programs so I suppose I could give it a go.

Photoshop would be ideal, since you have it, as I could offer help with that since I'm familiar with it.
    This was what I was talking about with stroke and using the grey of the mountains.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tonnichiwa stroke.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	222.7 KB 
ID:	82089

Haha, I just noticed the Southvale Cheese mOnastery!!! Yes

Hmm, that really is nice. Believe it or not though, I haven't really messed with the lettering except to get a different font and add a glow to it, and of course change the color. There is a ton more I can do but haven't tried for labels and cc3 yet. I think what I will do first is mess around with the text effects in cc3 first to see if I can get that to go away, and if that doesn't work, then I will try photoshop.

LOL, I was hoping you would see the Southvale Cheese Monastery. It sits on the mountain in a small mountain valley and is hard to get to, but it is where they make all of the cheese in my country.

I am going to have to do a pilgrimage to this vale of the south and pay homage at the monastery of fromagio

Uh oh, better watch your backs or else the anti-cheese monks will sabotage the monastery... Naw, it's too far of a journey for them.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

You are welcome to come to the monastery and try the many different types of cheese made there. And of course, all of the other things that cheese is made for

I hear there is some form of smokeweed made by a race called "hobbits" that we might have to start a trade agreement with....and, of course, go sample some!

The problem with the lettering relates to how CC3 does its alpha tests: it ends up with a 1-bit alpha result from the changes made to a background image. The only way to get around it for text, unfortunately, is to turn off text antialiasing. Rendering to an offscreen buffer with destination alpha is on my wanted list, but there's a whole lot of assembly language between here and there...

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/disabl...othing-windows describes a way to turn off font antialiasing, but it will make everything look a bit odd...

Ah, hobbits and their rope trees. Under the light of the full moon, young women climb the trees to cut only the choicest buds using a specially-blessed sickle and the men catch it with their equally-blessed silver bowls before it hits the ground... Nothing like it!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast