Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Map 15 - Hallanicus (Tonnichiwa's Land)

Haha, nice.
    No problem - I wanted something loud so I'd see it.
    Some days there are a lot of posts, and it's easier to see it in the news feed than to have to go search through every thread.
    I'm still not sure what I'm going to do.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

I've been trying to think of something all day and this one finally hit me. I saw that I could change the color to blue to represent the ocean, and I saw that I could put that circle and cross thing in the center of the shield. To me that sort of looked like many nations separated by water. So I got a boat and put it in the center, then got your symbols and used a different one for each piece of land, put the "peace of Cheese" symbol on all of their flags, then found that scroll and a cool font. Next thing you know I've got a nice coat of arms!

I'm sure you will have some sort of inspiration sometime. It will be awesome to see this whole thing when it is done with our coats of arms on it. I look forward to what you finally decide to do.

The inverse translation is ''Peace on earth to carry cheese'', That's not the same meaning.
    It could be understood as ''to achieve peace in order to carry (your) cheese.
    Your mercantile expansionist country needs to find more markets to develop your growing dairy industry, often using force to destroy others dairy industries.
    So, from that point of view, it's a pretty negative motto.

Coincidentially, if I add a coma, it takes a very different meaning: Peace on earth, in order that it might bear, cheese,
    Nevermind...

Why not : ''Pax caseus'' ? Peace + cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    The inverse translation is ''Peace on earth to carry cheese'', That's not the same meaning.
    It could be understood as ''to achieve peace in order to carry (your) cheese.
    Your mercantile expansionist country needs to find more markets to develop your growing dairy industry, often using force to destroy others dairy industries.
    So, from that point of view, it's a pretty negative motto.

Coincidentially, if I add a coma, it takes a very different meaning: Peace on earth, in order that it might bear, cheese,
    Nevermind...

Why not : ''Pax caseus'' ? Peace + cheese
    But, even if negative, that does make for some interesting story lines
    And lends itself well as prelude to future cheese wars.

The First Makers used the slogan "pacem per caseum" (Peach Through Cheese). Later, the merchant class corrupted this to "Bringing the Piece of Cheese to all nations" in their drive to create a global export business. Most recently, some royalty who pride themselves on their peace-through-cash-and-stick diplomacy corrupted that slogan to ""Bringing the Peace of Cheese to all nations", totally unaware of the earlier usage.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Haha, well I don't speak or read latin so I used the translator. Leave it to a free translator to mess it up...but you know what...I like the negative idea of it because my country isn't very happy that cheese hating monks tried to destroy the cheese monastery, and it made the cheese loving minotaurs mad...so they are gonna go take it out on anyone else who hates cheese...More fuel for the up and coming cheese wars!

EDIT: doh! Sniped by Waldronate!

And the warhawks like to say "Superiore pacem per caseum" or "Peace through superior cheese".

Now we know that to "pacify" an area is to bring it peace. To "casify" an area, then, would be to bring it cheese. By force, if necessary.

Casu Marzu and Milbenkäse would likely be banned for humanitarian reasons. Surströmming would probably figure into that treaty as well. And Salmiakki, of course. (Those last two aren't cheese, but are other food items that can be weaponized easily).
    Last edited by waldronate; 04-23-2016 at 02:11 AM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567