Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Map 13 - Josiah's Land (Name TBA)

So it's kind of slow going ahead, not sure how to proceed, so I started shading a few things. As long as I'm working on something the maps always come together. Mostly what I've run into trouble with is the borders with the rivers (because I made my rivers more squiggly to try and give it an isometric view) and how I shall portray other countries around me, but those are things that will fall into place.

I think the plateau is too tall, but I don't know, what do you think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Josiah's Lands copy.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	943.5 KB 
ID:	82094

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Yeah, I think the added second level makes it too tall. Taller than your mountains.
    Your shadow and highlighted mountains look good.

For the plateau areas, I was thinking of some mix of grassland and jungle... grassland higher up on the plateau, jungle nearer the edges and down below the plateau.
    Thoughts on that? These were just thoughts, not set plans.
    That area is a bit north of the equator, so it could go in several directions really.

Thanks, I'll think about that. I'm going to bed now.

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

That looks good Josiah. though I agree that the mountains looks underscaled regarding the plateau.

It's kind of a mess as I test out different styles and get ahead of myself...

Testing some colour on the forests... not sure about it yet.

Name:	Josiah's Lands.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	799.7 KB 
ID:	82320

I thought of trying a low colour style as well, and I like it too, so I have to decide which style to go with.

### LATEST WIP ###

Views:	64 
Size:	941.1 KB 
ID:	82322

Any advice would be helpful!

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

I prefer the color on the first one, although I'd tone down the sepia a bit maybe? But I think the texture of the second one is better too, although I'm not sure how wip they are. Did you have an idea of what medium this is supposed to be emulating?

Your linework and mountains are amazing though! I love that you can see the shading and detail on the mountains in the color version, another reason it gets my vote.

I rather like the color version. I'm not experienced enough to give much in way of suggestions, but if I were asked... Those southern mountains seem to be a bit on the small side compared to the plateau. Scale them up a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by SrgDark View Post
    I rather like the color version. I'm not experienced enough to give much in way of suggestions, but if I were asked... Those southern mountains seem to be a bit on the small side compared to the plateau. Scale them up a bit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Goombac View Post
    I prefer the color on the first one, although I'd tone down the sepia a bit maybe? But I think the texture of the second one is better too, although I'm not sure how wip they are. Did you have an idea of what medium this is supposed to be emulating?

Your linework and mountains are amazing though! I love that you can see the shading and detail on the mountains in the color version, another reason it gets my vote.
    Thanks for the suggestions you two! I'm going for colour..

SrgDark, I definitely know what you mean, I really should have been thinking about it earlier.. I may or may not make the mountains a bit bigger, depending on time. Thanks for the suggestion!

So here is a bit of an update, putting in cities and stuff.. still a bit messy, but I will tidy it all up in the end.

Views:	58 
Size:	796.4 KB 
ID:	82339

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Loving the real sense of scale here. The mountains are appropriately small, which makes it all feel very immense. Liking it!
    Current Project: The Low Countries & Their Periphery, c. 1584

Do you like Renaissance and early modern history? Check out my Facebook page, Renaissance Netherlands with Will Phillips.

Awesome. Those mountains and hills are really something else! Very inspirational.

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast