Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Map 13 - Josiah's Land (Name TBA)

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Excellent! The shadings are particularly well done. We can easily picture the land ambiance somehow.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    I'm loving the way you draw everything on this map. the way you have had the land raising up from the rivers, to the way you have drawn your hills and your mountains, to your forests, to the giant plateau. the coloring is awesome and looks well blended together. Man, I wish I knew how to use photoshop like that.
    Thanks so much Tonnichiwa. I'm glad you like it, and it really isn't that hard, if you're wondering about anything in particular it would be my pleasure to show you how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    It looks good so far, the overall colors are working fine. Its giving a nice feel to the climate.
    Thanks Schwarzkreuz, it means a lot.

And I'll just put out an update now... I think I've gone waaaaaay overboard with the cities... what do you think?

For the names, I gave in, my not-endless stream of names ran dry quickly, so I used a random name generator..

Anyway, here it is, any suggestions are helpful.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Josiah's Lands copy.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	82606

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That looks really great! Excellent work on the mountains and plateau. I like the embossed effect on the rivers, too. As for the number of cities, I hear ya. I'm struggling with it on my map too. On one hand, it's a HUGE piece of territory, so of course there's gonna be a lot of cities, but on the other hand, the map still needs to be legible when fit into the greater Guild World map. Maybe the answer is two versions, City/Text Heavy, and Light?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    That looks really great! Excellent work on the mountains and plateau. I like the embossed effect on the rivers, too. As for the number of cities, I hear ya. I'm struggling with it on my map too. On one hand, it's a HUGE piece of territory, so of course there's gonna be a lot of cities, but on the other hand, the map still needs to be legible when fit into the greater Guild World map. Maybe the answer is two versions, City/Text Heavy, and Light?
    Thanks.

Yes, it's a massive territory, that's what I was thinking and that's why I put so many.
    Good point and good idea, I'll have a version with just the main cities then... First I'll label everything.

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

I'm loving the color scheme you've got going here.
    I'll have to look at that if I do a full color version.
    And Diamonds idea of 2 versions isn't bad either.
    I'll have some of the same issues with text by the time I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I'm loving the color scheme you've got going here.
    I'll have to look at that if I do a full color version.
    And Diamonds idea of 2 versions isn't bad either.
    I'll have some of the same issues with text by the time I'm done.
    Thanks J. I've seen how many cities are on yours, are you going to label them all?

I've finished naming the cities, now I'll have to name the terrain. I think I'm finished the coloured and shading and everything, unless there's something I've missed or forgot or doesn't look good (tell me please if you see anything ). Oh yes, those hills on the plateau I need to do.. I also started working on a territory map that will be in the corner.

Also, about the font, what do you think? Do you think it's good and if not any suggestions?

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Josiah's Lands copy.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	82608

Suggestions? Critique?
    Last edited by Josiah VE; 04-16-2016 at 04:54 PM.

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

It's looking fantastic Josiah! Can only agree on the great coloring /shading. The amount of cities seems still totally fine to me and you did a great job on the labels, would be interested if they're still legible with the final resolution.
    Btw. i still can't see any border fortification...
    Keep up the great work!
    Cheers,
    AL

EDIT: oh, ninja attack!
    Just wanted to add, that the font fits well in my view. I also love the small political map, was thinking about something like this too, to use the free space...

EDIT˛: looked again at the new labels. Some of them are a bit hard to read as they are overlapping the linework to much. Maybe "mask" some space around the labels to make them stand freely?
    Last edited by Abu Lafia; 04-16-2016 at 06:04 PM.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    It's looking fantastic Josiah! Can only agree on the great coloring /shading. The amount of cities seems still totally fine to me and you did a great job on the labels, would be interested if they're still legible with the final resolution.
    Btw. i still can't see any border fortification...
    Keep up the great work!
    Cheers,
    AL

EDIT: oh, ninja attack!
    Just wanted to add, that the font fits well in my view. I also love the small political map, was thinking about something like this too, to use the free space...

EDIT˛: looked again at the new labels. Some of them are a bit hard to read as they are overlapping the linework to much. Maybe "mask" some space around the labels to make them stand freely?
    Thanks Abu!
    Oh yes, border fortifications.. Ends up the border with me is actually smaller than when I thought it was bigger but still bigger than what I thought at first. What's happening to my young eyes, can't even see country borders any more... I also wanted to add a few more dwarven cities in the mountains by the plateaus so that they can have some cool dwarven wars between the other mountains to the east (because they are inhabited by dwarves also).

Oh yes, I know they are hard to see at the moment, I haven't added a glow or stroke to them yet, I will. Unfortunately in photoshop cs2 you can't do layer styles by the folder, so I'll have to copy and paste layer styles on all of them... which takes a while. Oh well...

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Okay, no update on the main map yet, but I made this quick town map. Maybe if I make some more town maps and story I'll make another thread for my country, but I thought I'd just post it here for now.

A very quick town map! I think I could recreate this in half an hour now that I've worked through it.

Name:	The Cheese Gathering.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	533.9 KB 
ID:	82646

This is not supposed to be a great looking map, just quick techniques so I can map a bunch of my cities.

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

I like the idea of filling the exterior of your country with a thematic map. I might do that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Maybe if I make some more town maps and story I'll make another thread for my country, but I thought I'd just post it here for now.
    We can create other thread prefix tags. Right now we just have [country] but we can create some others.

And of course, a special envoy from Nahadua will be present.
    Should you require additional guards for the town,
    we would be pleased to guard the cheese

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast