Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Map 04 - Cayad, Realm of the Carnelian God-Empress

That looks fabulous.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

This is great!! That giant stone thing looks especially awesome.

Whoah, for some reason I thought you had a way smaller border with me. Uh oh, I'll have to fortify a bit more along our border.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Those new forests are great. Just enough detail to get the point across without distracting from other things on the map.

And that is one big-ass bridge!!!

I meant to add that I love the rippling wrinkly walls of your plateaus

The line work on this is brutally effective. It looks so good. I love that giant bridge between the two cities.

Wow ! That wrinkled plateau is a blast ! Might borrow the idea soon ...

As Diamond said, the southern forest blends wonderfully but to me it points an accusatory finger to the northern ones. In the south, you got a great perspective going that, for me, the north side (forest-wise) lacks. Maybe it's just the canopy or the hilly environnement but the forests up north lack that crawly feeling. Maybe reworking their borders will do the trick or maybe you can obtain the same effect by just drawing the canopy but as it is, the two forest patches don't match perspective-wise.

Anyways, that map is a great piece. Your style makes me travel and really sells the pulp/high fantasy setting. Looking forward for more, many more !

Cheers.

Thomas

This is looking absolutely amazing!

-Dan

Really great. You have the means to develop this high fantasy feeling in your drawing. I'm waiting to see this one finished with pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Take the time you need for this country of wonders. I love the new additions and the stone bridge.
    Thank you Ilanthar, time is running and once again, better preparation might have done the trick to finish it without pressure^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    Your additions are great, the southern forests look really good. The water outside the border is a little distracting for me, but if it's part of your plan I'm confident it's going to work out well. This is wonderful work.
    Thanks a lot Meshon, i'm happy you have the confidence that it'll turn out well no matter what Actually the border was more of a placeholder for the moment, haven't decided yet what to do about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    That looks fabulous.
    Thank you so much chashio, i'm really glad you like it so far!
    Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    This is great!! That giant stone thing looks especially awesome.
    Whoah, for some reason I thought you had a way smaller border with me. Uh oh, I'll have to fortify a bit more along our border.
    Thanks neighbor, much appreciated! XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Those new forests are great. Just enough detail to get the point across without distracting from other things on the map.
    And that is one big-ass bridge!!!
    Thank you Diamond. I hope i can reproduce those forests reliably one day...
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I meant to add that I love the rippling wrinkly walls of your plateaus
    Thanks John, i came up with them, since it's more or less the iso version of those plateau-like top-down cliffs from my "wizard tower" and "space-port" maps. So i only developed the things i felt more comfortable with
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    The line work on this is brutally effective. It looks so good. I love that giant bridge between the two cities.
    Thank you Falconius, means a lot! I hope i can transition some of this brutal effectiveness into the consistency of my general workflow one day...
    Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    Wow ! That wrinkled plateau is a blast ! Might borrow the idea soon ...

As Diamond said, the southern forest blends wonderfully but to me it points an accusatory finger to the northern ones. In the south, you got a great perspective going that, for me, the north side (forest-wise) lacks. Maybe it's just the canopy or the hilly environnement but the forests up north lack that crawly feeling. Maybe reworking their borders will do the trick or maybe you can obtain the same effect by just drawing the canopy but as it is, the two forest patches don't match perspective-wise.

Anyways, that map is a great piece. Your style makes me travel and really sells the pulp/high fantasy setting. Looking forward for more, many more !

Cheers.

Thomas
    Many thanks for the great feedback Thomas. I'm glad you like the plateaus and really looking forward too see how you'll use it! You're absolutely right about the inconsistency of the forests so far. I also think the first step will be an adaptation of the outlines, to get a somewhat matching perspective. Happy to hear that it transports that "pulpy" feeling. I mentioned in the wip-thread of my Tarkir map, that i think i was somewhat (unconsciously) influenced by the style of all those great high-fantasy bandes dessinées. Long way to go still...
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    This is looking absolutely amazing!

-Dan
    Thank you Dan, greatly appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlin View Post
    Really great. You have the means to develop this high fantasy feeling in your drawing. I'm waiting to see this one finished with pleasure.
    Thank you Warlin, means a lot, as your fantastic last iso maps gave me some good inspiration (i might have forgotten to comment on them, but i enjoyed them a lot ). As written above, i think the basic means might be there, but i feel it's still very half-baked.

I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the nice and encouraging feedback... hope i can somehow come up to the expectations (ofc mainly my own...). Glad to be part of such a nice community!
    Cheers,
    AL
    Edit: Damn, i can only insert max. 10 smilies... XD
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Edit: Damn, i can only insert max. 10 smilies... XD
    Yep, I've gotten that many times

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast