Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
Hey Dan ... ehm ... Lord Harewood, i thought of the God-Empresses realm as a kind of "slumbering danger" for the surrounding countries. Having a sharp eye (through agents, etc.) on her neighbors, just waiting for a moment of weakness (or even encouraging them to make the "right" decisions). I thought about the quite long border dividing our realms. A large part is along the river, which is a good "natural" and thereby maybe relatively stable border. More to the east i have some territory on "your" side of the river. Maybe it stems from an invasion into the (now fallen and occupied) 17. Duchy? As always, some of the people would have gladly welcome the new rulers, most are indifferent, and others are plotting for a rebellion...
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17Duchy.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	355.5 KB 
ID:	82209

It's just an idea, that came to my mind while thinking about the history of the border and our neighborhood. Would love to hear what you think about it or if you have other ideas.
Your mountains and hills look really great. First i thought they're stamped, but some of them just look very similar, kudos!
Btw. your new Ligatu(u)r Avatar is very lovely!
Cheers,
AL

Edit: Oh, i ninja'ed you
Oh, I completely missed this post, That's an interesting story you came up with. After reading I thought maybe the 17th Duchy was lost to the God-Empress by inheritance. The last duke had no sons so the duchy passed to his cousin, who was a vassal of the God-Empress (does this fit within your political system?). This makes it very awkward, and creates an uncomfortable tension, especially since we haven't fought each other for generations. This little incident might completely change that!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
You're working fast and well. It looks very good so far.
Thanks Ilanthar!

Here an update with the first labels. I also came up with a bit more background story for this map.

The Mountains in this region are infested with dragons. For centuries the people living in the mountains have struggled to survive. Only a few decades ago did the people find a way to effectively repel the dragons; the dragons have a deep love for gold and food. When the people of the 16 duchies presented to the dragons the Alïnohan cheese with its strongly pronounced saltiness the dragons experienced the perfect combination of gold and food. They agreed to leave the people of the duchies alone if they would continue to bring the Alïnohan cheese to the dragons.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	[WIP] The 16 Duchies of Harewood 10.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	82310

As always, let me know what you think!

-Dan