Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Map 11 - The Ataxic Agglomeration of Apoplectic Aspect

I like the HRE since it's kinda chaotic. But if it is like that, land can also be inherited and not just taken by force. Meaning the HRE had very odd inside borders like this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_of_Brunswick

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    I like the HRE since it's kinda chaotic. But if it is like that, land can also be inherited and not just taken by force. Meaning the HRE had very odd inside borders like this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_of_Brunswick
    Yeah I was thinking about that, but then decided I really didn't want to deal with such fine detail so left it more general in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by snodsy
    I really like the land divisions on the Riverlands, it integrates with the map as somewhat realistic, where as the stripes are foreign to landforms, so they kind become a more symbolic patterned solutions. Not bad, just a thought.
    The striped lands are lands the Cobalt Freemen are busy trying to conquer, and I think stripes better reflect conflict.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Apoplectic Aspect, I love that. A nation after my own heart :p

Nice map!, looks so realistic, like a map you can found in a Geography book!

Somehow I missed most of this progress. A very nice political style, I love it.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Interesting concept and a very clean and pleasant map.

Quote Originally Posted by Robulous
    Apoplectic Aspect, I love that. A nation after my own heart :p
    Hehe I surely hope not, that would be bad for the health of your heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    Nice map!, looks so realistic, like a map you can found in a Geography book!
    Thank-you. This is not at all the direction I originally planned to head, but I'm learning a bunch so am pretty happy with where it's going.
    Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE
    Somehow I missed most of this progress. A very nice political style, I love it.
    Thank-you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar
    Interesting concept and a very clean and pleasant map.
    Thanks. Not so much a concept as a rabbit I chased down a hole . I don't think it's quite as clean any more...

...as I managed to get in the vast majority of the labels. All my cities and towns are named. I named a city on the Western border Branoch in honour of my highland/lowland neighbours across the river. Felt it had the right sort of flavour. I pretty much finished most of the city names when I thought of a great idea to use the map assignment list for name seeds. So I missed out a bit on that, as I could've gotten everyone contributing to the project in the names of the towns, but I used the list to name all the Riverlands Principalities and I've got a couple names for rivers and features and things to add so maybe I can manage to get everyone in.

Here's the name derivations for the provinces:
    Snodsy=Sondye
    Korash=Sarhoke
    Slox=Azelor (I wasn't looking when typing and my left hand shifted one key to the right it was supposed to be something like Aloz or thereabouts, but I liked the error )
    Merprincia=Gamerprinter
    Eshra=Arsheesh
    Ichilo=Chickpea
    Ilanthar=Halanath
    Glino=Lingon
    Ravelles=Varelles
    Braffen=Steffenbrand
    Rodea=Troedel
    Warlin=Larn
    Deadshade=Desaeh
    Robulous=Ruhsulo
    J.Edward=Jarde
    Diamond=Miadem
    Siroh=Chashio

That's 17 on the list, I don't think I'll have enough name spaces left to seed 34 more names, but I should be able to get the absolute majority of the list, there's like 6 more rivers to name and various other things. I'm still putzing around and experimenting with the labels.

And then it's on to finally working on features.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ataxic Agglomerate4.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	82527
    (Sorry it's so jenky looking I'm exporting at 70dpi to save space until I get it into a more final state. I'll probably use jpg when I start getting more raster elements in there. This is easier for now.)

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

This is really cool. Love what you've done with the names. Very clever!

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Very effective map, I like it!

Ok, after having been putzing around with Wilbur the past couple of days I got an ok height map.

Name:	Ataxic Terrain Wilbur Final compressed.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	3.00 MB 
ID:	82794
    I don't know why I find Wilbur so tiring, I think it's largely because I have no idea what everything... anything... actually does except through trial and error. But my God is it a powerful tool. So thanks for putting it out there Waldronate. The height map was made between Wilbur and Gimp going back and forth many, many, times. The tools I used in Wilbur were mainly three things precipitation erosion, incise flow, and remap altitudes (super helpful, that one), and approaching final I used the height section tool, to sculpt our the levels a bit more. Obviously I used basin fill, but towards the end I stopped because it started to do away with a lot of hard work, also the noise generator. So I think those two will now be more relegated to beginning and early middle tools in my work flow for any maps I do with Wilbur from now on.

Now on to the map:
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Ataxic Agglomerate5.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	8.85 MB 
ID:	82795
    Obviously there are lots of problems that became apparent only after managing this. Among them a major one is a need to reroute the roads. I did this export through GIMP because I wanted to get it in jpg, but I think since it is mostly just organizing layers I can also do that in inkscape which will help with working the problems out since I can just access all the data there directly instead of having to export separate layers and the import them into GIMP. Maybe maybe not, but I am a big step towards completion. I've got a bunch of new label opportunities so I'm hoping I can get all the participants in this project seeded in there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast