Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Map 8 - The Halfings last refuge: Shireland

Thanks Dan!
    I played with the mountains a bit more, changed the layout a little and changed the color so the mountains are slightly more brownish. Then I added rivers and lakes.
    Next I have to work on roads & towns.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guild World Map - country 08_green-Rivers.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	355.9 KB 
ID:	82331

Towns and Roads added. Not sure how I am going to get all the labels on here.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Guild World Map - country 08_roads-Towns.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	379.9 KB 
ID:	82364

Looking good Boogie!

Hm... If it's not too much work, place numbers near the town marks and list them all down in some parchment like thing on the side?

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

I think the mountains look great, though they could blend better with the flatter lands. It's a kind of sharp distinction between mountain and not-mountain now, and the style seems to call for a smoother transition imo. Personally I'd also tweak the sea color as it's quite similar to the land, or add a light or dark glow around the coasts perhaps, to make the islands stand out a bit more

Thanks SgrDark, I was starting to think that might be the way to do the towns. Just label the islands and mountains.

Glad you like the mountains Lingon. I probably should put a layer with some hills around the mountains. I can play with the ocean color a bit, but it is just going to get replaced with JEdwards final ocean map, which will be much better than mine anyway.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Suggestion, maybe use a different, lighter colour for the rivers than the sea? Zoomed out it's hard to distinguish the rivers so makes it all look very wet

Also how about a name for the sea between Valpolicella and your southern island - how about the Brandywine Sea? Seems a good reference for both of us!
    Last edited by Robulous; 04-14-2016 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    Suggestion, maybe use a different, lighter colour for the rivers than the sea? Zoomed out it's hard to distinguish the rivers so makes it all look very wet
    Also how about a name for the sea between Valpolicella and your southern island - how about the Brandywine Sea? Seems a good reference for both of us!
    I like it! Will play with the colors a bit.

Latest Update: I changed the water color for the rivers vs the oceans so now they are different, and I labeled all the islands and some of the water.
    I added a layer of hills so it is not just mountains and flatland.

I'm not used to labeling my maps, any constructive critique on what I have so far?

I am not crazy about cluttering up the map with town names, any thoughts on using numbers and then having a legend?

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Guild World Map - country 08A_green-Blue copy.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	417.4 KB 
ID:	82776
    Last edited by Bogie; 04-21-2016 at 01:12 AM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

The hills look great, much more natural appearance now! On the labelling, I like the font you picked, but it's hard to tell which label refers to what (it's clear from the names, of course, but a visual distinction makes it easier to read the map). I'd suggest putting Shireland in a title box instead, as it refers to the whole map, and making the water features either italics, a pale blue color, or both. I think there's space enough for city names, not generally a fan of having to jump with the eyes between the map and a legend for every location, but give it a try and see if you like it Actually, there's enough space between the lands to have one legend for each island, which reduces the amount of jumping one would have to do. That's what I'd try, I think.

I do believe this may be the very first non-dungeon/battle map of yours that I've seen Bogie. Keep up the great work man.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast