Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Map 09 - Chor'Tah (The Savage Lands)

Thanks. I thought of trying to draw them myself but due to time I ended up using a texture. I couldn't quite figure out a good way of doing it (filters etc...) other than just drawing, and after how long it took drawing the mountains I just didn't think I would get it done quick enough, considering the other stuff I still have to do.

Other than another texture in the background I think everything else was by hand, well created digitally by me I guess.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That is a great looking map! Really excellent mountains, and the layout of the whole thing is appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    That is a great looking map! Really excellent mountains, and the layout of the whole thing is appealing.
    Thanks so much. I worry as I look at so many great maps people are doing for the 10th anniversary that mine pales in comparison. So many look so clean and exact and mine is rough around the edges, some on purpose because it's a land of orcs, a savage land, but some because my skill, so far, just isn't where it can be, I hope.

It's been fun and a good learning experience doing this map and I'm glad you like it. Still have so more to do and hope to get some done tomorrow.

This doesn't pale in comparison, this is awesome!! Plus, it's not a competition, just fun. You did an excellent job, and I hope you've learned a lot (I'm learning a lot from mine too )

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Great map but I'm not keen on the pixellation on the text, is that part of the font?

Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    Great map but I'm not keen on the pixellation on the text, is that part of the font?
    I did do some "distressing" on the font to give it a rougher look, if that is what you are referring to. I really couldn't decide on a font in Photoshop Elements (what I'm using right now) so I just picked one that was OK and altered it. Since it was simplified (Rasterized?) and altered it may have also given it the pixellation you mentioned. I probably should have just downloaded a font instead of going thru the process of altering each name separately. I did leave the names of the cities/towns unaltered. Just the Holds, Clans, Strongholds go the treatment.

I put in the rest of my town/city names, hope I didn't miss one, and not sure what else I am going to do at this point. I thought of putting in a Legend, and I still could, but figured it would be cut off in the composite anyway. May still add it to the individual map. Not sure on the sea monster I put in, just can't draw that well with the tablet. I'm not the best artist, but I think I could do better with paper and pencil. Might give that a try and change it, but it's good for now, I guess.

Also put the name of my country on the map so it would show up in the composite.

Anyway, comments etc... welcome.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map 09 - Chor'Tah-The Savage Lands.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	3.50 MB 
ID:	82734

Nice map, with some interesting feature. Your mountains are really good but your hills don't integrate well themselves with them. I have the same problem with my maps and i don't have the means to correct it allready.
    And... Orca Traz lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Warlin View Post
    Nice map, with some interesting feature. Your mountains are really good but your hills don't integrate well themselves with them. I have the same problem with my maps and i don't have the means to correct it allready.
    And... Orca Traz lol...
    After the time it took to draw the mountains I decided to create some "hill" brushes. I agree they could be better integrated and would probably look better if I continued out from the mountains using the same technique.

Working on this map has been a learning experience and hope to carry on what I learned to other maps. And hope not to make too many of the same mistakes again.

So many maps in this community challenge I'm having difficulties keeping track of everything.
    You're doing a really good job, especially your mountains are great in my opinion.
    Maybe I don't particularly like the brownish contour of your Country.
    Anyway, good work so far.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast