Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Map 26 – Alďnoha [Lingonland]

It's really cool to see this process, I never knew you could do watercolours on canvas. It's the canvas raw or treated with gesso? In the close up it looks like it's behaving as it would on paper.

Hmm... I wonder .... (Excuse me, for I must go experiment). Edit: it didn't work
    This is a great start Lingon!
    Last edited by Chashio; 04-05-2016 at 07:52 PM.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

It's looking nice...and like it's lots of fun to make. Hey, does all of that salt mean your land has large salt deposits? I think my country could use some of that. And I put a large grasslands area on our border that is filled with large hairy cows.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Nice start and great to see your processin action Lingon!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Ah, that looks fun.
    I would be too impatient to wait that long, even to be safe, which was always one of my failings with painting.
    I used Lingonlund on the map, just to give it a non-straight feel.
    You could vary it - Lingenlund, Lingundland, Lingunderlond, Lingeleriand, Lingose, Linigonda, Lingelondi, Lingrone, Lingonolinde, Lingoria, Alingoth, Elingroth, Ulin-Gondi, Gonlinde, Oligon, Iligonongo, etc
    I like making up names.
    I tend to be impatient too, hehe. The trick is to have loads of active projects at the same time, so you can take something else while waiting And thanks for the name suggestions! Some of those stray dangerously close to Lingerieland I was planning to go with something completely unrelated to my username, but you gave me some ideas there.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    It's really cool to see this process, I never knew you could do watercolours on canvas. It's the canvas raw or treated with gesso? In the close up it looks like it's behaving as it would on paper.
    Ah, my bad, used "canvas" figuratively, like digital artists tend to call the empty work file a "canvas", but that was not very clear, haha. Watercolors need paper. Or wood, that works too

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Hmm... I wonder .... (Excuse me, for I must go experiment). Edit: it didn't work
    This is a great start Lingon!
    Sorry! See above And thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    It's looking nice...and like it's lots of fun to make. Hey, does all of that salt mean your land has large salt deposits? I think my country could use some of that. And I put a large grasslands area on our border that is filled with large hairy cows.
    Yes, totally, there's a lot of salt in the rock in this area! In fact, in the winters when the herds wander the mountainsides, the beasts like to lick the saline stones, which is why the winter cheese has a much more pronounced saltiness, preferred by many southern cheese merchants. And your cows better stay on your side of the fence! (shall we build a Great Fence?)

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Nice start and great to see your processin action Lingon!
    Thanks!

So… the masking pen didn't work… I did a test piece and it was fine, but on the real map it took so much rubbing to remove that the paint started smearing So I just scanned it and removed it in PS instead. On the bright side, that led me add much thinner branches than I could have done with the pen, as it has a quite big tip and doesn't seem pressure sensitive at all. Also stippled in some forests with a sponge before scanning, and painted mountains. Don't know if I actually invented the technique but I haven't read about it anywhere; to highlight the mountains I use my airbrush and spray clean water very close to the paper, this reactivates the paint ant pushes the pigment away. Guess there's not a lot of airbrushers here, but just in case someone finds it interesting Oh, and painted some mammoth herders because there was empty space
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26 wip4.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	511.9 KB 
ID:	82129

Wow that looks great! Wonderful effects.

That is a thing of beauty already Lingon
    That's an interesting technique for the highlights. I've not heard of anyone doing that either. Very clever.
    I love watercolor. Such a subtle medium, yet so powerful.
    I'm a novice with it but have the intention to work at it more, though seldom the time.

Beautiful!
    Sorry about the pen not working as hoped/smeared paint... that's why I generally prefer acrylic inks, which are permanent when dry... but, of course, that also means I can't use such clever techniques with an airbrush to make mountains. And they act as a permanent adhesive between paper and little salt crystals, haha.

Don't forget the WIP tag.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Oh, this is looking absolutely amazing Lingon. Can't wait too see what comes next!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Thanks guys! Yeah, different paint types have different advantages I guess, wish there was one that let you do everything but until someone invents that, the drawbacks of each type has their charm… And thanks for reminding me about the tag, Chashio.

Here's an update with some labels. It took some time to find a font that I felt matched the painting, but I think I've settled for this one called Waiting for the Sunrise. It's a bit hard to read at small size, though. Also, my lands have a name!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26 wip5.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	82201

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast