Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Map 26 – Alïnoha [Lingonland]

I think I managed to change the i to ï in the title (at least, I hope it displays properly!) I hope that's looking correct now?
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Daniel: Thanks! I don't tend to browse these forums on my phone at all actually, it's just too small to properly view the kind of works posted here, haha. We paint big Glad you like it!
    ChickPea: Yeah, that seems to be it, cheers

Was hoping I would have a new wip with cities now, but then Photoshop crashed and everything from today's session disappeared, so… hopefully motivation to redo the cities has returned tonight

Thanks for this Lingon, I always love your watercolors because they inspire me to keep at it. I've wanted to try an airbrush but was worried I would suck at it or hate it and it would be a waste of money. In honesty, I'm pretty sure I'd figure it out but for some reason those stupid fears always dance around in the back of my head.

It's a beautiful map and the people in the corner are a great addition to the whole look and feel. Fabulous job!

edit: Question: that looks like a pretty large canvas, how do you manage to scan that in?
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 04-08-2016 at 12:24 PM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

This is looking great Lingon. Sorry to hear what happened with photoshop. Love your Cows be here joke! That's actually the area of my map where the Minotaur's live as well. Cows are considered a different species, similar to the way scientists say humans evolved from monkey's. So the minotaurs are the ones who are the cow farmers. Wow,...how silly is that...cow farming minotaurs!

I know what you mean Jaxilon. My brother bought me an airbrush and a compressor, while my wife bought me $300.00 worth of air brush paints for my birthday in 2014 and I haven't even touched either one of them. It intimidates me too much. Coincidentally, that happens to be the same year I got started in Campaign Cartographer...hmm, maybe mapping is why I don't touch the air brush.

It's beautiful Lingon! I love the colors and the shading of the mountains. You're outdoing yourself with this one !

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Thanks for this Lingon, I always love your watercolors because they inspire me to keep at it. I've wanted to try an airbrush but was worried I would suck at it or hate it and it would be a waste of money. In honesty, I'm pretty sure I'd figure it out but for some reason those stupid fears always dance around in the back of my head.

It's a beautiful map and the people in the corner are a great addition to the whole look and feel. Fabulous job!

edit: Question: that looks like a pretty large canvas, how do you manage to scan that in?
    Thank you! That feels great to hear, nothing is better than inspiring others The airbrush is honestly not that difficult to use, and it's super fun, but it's LOADS of maintenance (like, 50% of your painting session goes to cleaning it...), which is why I use it less and less often. And yes, it's quite big, close to A3 but a bit wider. I scanned it in two halves with a lot of overlap and pasted them together.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    This is looking great Lingon. Sorry to hear what happened with photoshop. Love your Cows be here joke! That's actually the area of my map where the Minotaur's live as well. Cows are considered a different species, similar to the way scientists say humans evolved from monkey's. So the minotaurs are the ones who are the cow farmers. Wow,...how silly is that...cow farming minotaurs!

I know what you mean Jaxilon. My brother bought me an airbrush and a compressor, while my wife bought me $300.00 worth of air brush paints for my birthday in 2014 and I haven't even touched either one of them. It intimidates me too much. Coincidentally, that happens to be the same year I got started in Campaign Cartographer...hmm, maybe mapping is why I don't touch the air brush.
    Hehe, glad you appreciated the joke Cow-herding minotaurs… that must give them some existential questions And hey, if you've got the equipment, why not play around with it? Won't hurt to give it a shot

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    It's beautiful Lingon! I love the colors and the shading of the mountains. You're outdoing yourself with this one !
    Thanks Ilanthar! Very kind of you ^^

So, finally got the cities (or rather, villages of various sizes) replaced, and also added the paths that the herder tribes take. Each loop is completed in one year, though I haven't actually done the math on that, because I'm tired now So they might be totally impossible. In which case I'll redraw them to be some coastal tribes and some inland tribes, instead of almost everyone walking from coast to mountain.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26 wip6.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	82328

Really cool map Lingon! Your coloring is so warm and inviting. And the illustration is very cool

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Thanks Tainotim! Warm and inviting is nice, glad to hear that

I did some counting and believe the paths I drew are well within a possible year's walk at at reasonable pace, so I added arrows for direction and tribe names. Plus some minor tweaks here and there. Think I might be done with this one, if I don't think of any more names for mountains and rivers etc. Don't want to cover it in labels so I think I'll actually leave the settlements nameless, it fits with the nature of the communities I'm imagining as well, they're very organic, informal (and small), and names give it a feeling of order that I don't think I want… Open for input though, of course

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	26 wip7.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	82408

That's a very fine map Lingon. I just love it all.
    Couple things though... the route on the southern peninsula doesn't have a name attached to it? And maybe think of adding a small key on the map to explain what the routes mean?
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Thank you! Ah yes, I missed that southern one! Gave it a name, and I added something key-like to the title area… Also put in a few more names for the bodies of water, and some faint blue in the ocean corners to help frame the map. Plus my little signature thing from the Archaeological Survey map, might as well start using it

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	26 wip8.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	82421

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast