Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Map 26 – Alïnoha [Lingonland]

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Default Map 26 – Alïnoha [Lingonland]

I really like the look of a white, untouched canvas for some reason. Sometime I won't be able to resist, and just hang one on a wall instead of painting it... Not this one though! This one will become very green
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26 wip1.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	82024

The nation in this corner of the world was founded by settlers from Nahadua. They declared independence and were granted it peacefully, as these new lands seemed to have poor circumstances for cheese, with no indigenous animals that gave good milk, and as such where deemed quite worthless. But it didn't take long before the settlers explored further north, and beyond the highlands found vast herds of great, wooly beasts – herbivorous, docile and very milkable – followed around the northern plains by nomadic tribes of native humans, who lived in symbiosis with these walking factories of raw cheese material. The cities on the south of the new land established trade with the natives, and soon became a small but highly regarded exporter of some of the most piquant cheese in the Mareus Kase region.

A beautiful thing - the canvas, awaiting creation!
    I'm going to have to work out some things about these Nahaduan people soon, since they're roaming about settling and fighting people over cheese and such.
    Hopefully scratching the surface will reveal more depth to them than mere cheese affection

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

You guys are really making me wish I'd created the Empire of Lactosia Intolerancia instead of what I've got now.

I'm trying to come up with some other line, or something that strays away from my cheesy beginnings...
    Maybe something will come to me...

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Someone needs to do a nomadic civ called the Yurts of the Yogurts. Not really dairy but close!

You haven't even asked him about Limburger, Sir. XD

Btw. great backstory Lingon!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Oh, blank canvas! This is gonna be good
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Hello neighbor. Nice to see you doing this in traditional medium. Very cool!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Hehehe, cheers guys

I tend to use watercolors in a controlled way, not really taking advantage of their more whimsical properties, but in this one I felt like letting the paints do their thing. So I masked off the ocean and traced the rivers and coastlines with a masking pen (a removable latex solution that protects the paper from paint – the blue stuff) so I'd be able to work quickly and wet-in-wet in the next step.

Name:	26 wip2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	213.2 KB 
ID:	82073

And then I painted lots of green on it. Put it on heavier along the coasts and rivers, and stained some browns and also clean water here and there for tonal variation. Sprinkled salt in the wet washes to add some extra texture. Now I'm just waiting for this mess to dry so I can remove the salt and masking, will probably leave it overnight to be safe.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	26 wip3.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	82074

Tried to think of a real name for the place too, but not come up with anything yet… Will have to check out my ancestors' land again for inspiration I think

Ah, that looks fun.
    I would be too impatient to wait that long, even to be safe, which was always one of my failings with painting.
    I used Lingonlund on the map, just to give it a non-straight feel.
    You could vary it - Lingenlund, Lingundland, Lingunderlond, Lingeleriand, Lingose, Linigonda, Lingelondi, Lingrone, Lingonolinde, Lingoria, Alingoth, Elingroth, Ulin-Gondi, Gonlinde, Oligon, Iligonongo, etc
    I like making up names.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast