Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Map 38 - The Union

Default Map 38 - The Union

Hi guys,
    I’ll start to work on the map in the next few days and I hope I will meet the deadline even if I hope it will be postponed.

I’m writing a lore that I will expand if I’ll have the time and/or that I will integrate with the lore or other countries especially the neighbouring ones and those near but across the sea.
    As always I will accept suggestions and tips from everyone on everything, so feel free to express your point of view.
    The wip lore: (will change according to other people’s lore, new landmasses etc.) :

The Union

The Kalla peninsula and the island of Toron are the ancestral home of two ancient populations of northern men and dwarves, allied since ancient times and combining their respective skills and strengths to gain the most from the lands and seas of the north.

The hard work in the mountains, in the forests and on the sea, to extract the resources needed to survive, grow and prosper, is not the only trait of these fierce populations ; today The Union has set up a profitable trade, especially by sea, with those who are willing to exchange the resources of the north.

Over the centuries, these lands were also the last refuge of fugitives and outcasts from the south and from the main continent, often welcomed as soldiers or hard workers; not many dared to go so far north to escape their troubles, but who left to come to the Union, was welcomed and integrated: the north with its storms and its frosts is not the natural destination for anyone, and two extra hands, to fight or work, have always been helpful. Generations later, their children are perfectly integrated with the native populations. The result, is an interesting and unique culture that has made hospitality, on a hard and hostile land, a valuable resource; hence the name of the Country: simply “The Union”.

Although animated mainly by common sense and the will to work and produce, the people of The Union do not disdain culture and the arts, fed by numerous influences of immigrant people.
    The Union is thus also home to some important academies and universities.
    Magic, traditionally disregarded by dwarves, is mostly studied by elven immigrants and is mainly dedicated to ore manipulation and weather control. Necromancy is allowed only for medical purposes; illusion only for war purposes. Generally, though, the study of magical arts, given the extremely dangerous risks that they carry, are not encouraged and restricted to selected persons.

In the past, The Union fleets were feared for the naval raids and incursions carried out on the nearby and distant coastal regions (particularly notoriuos were the "fromage and milk" incursions on Nahadua and Lingonland). Today, trade and peace are further considered and raids have been abandoned. The Union still maintains a rather substantial military fleet, as well as a trained army, ready to defend the borders.

From an administrative point of view, The Union is a federation of autonomous cities with an Assembly of the Cities that legislates and periodically elects a government. There are also tensions between rival cities, but the survival difficulties and external threats have always minimized the risks of secession or most centripetal tendencies. Divisions come along ideological and logistical reasons: there’s a growing faction that would revive the glory of the more warmongering and raiding past; richer cities may have difficulties sharing their quota of resources for the common good; luckily, though, there are few ethnics tensions, as human, dwarves and other minorities get along well and as maybe one of the main ethos of The Union is ”union through diversity”. So factions are mostly interethnic.
    Different languages are spoken, including those ancestral of the dwarves and the men of the north; a Koine Creole language is the” lingua franca” of the Union.

Culturally, The Union populations, although stubborn and fierce, tend to be open minded and relaxed towards other beliefs and cultures. So in The Union, everybody is free to believe in gods or not to believe at all, and freedom of opinion is granted but ideas too far from the common ethos (union through diversity, commitment to hard work), are not seen favorably.

That's all for the moment, time to work on the map.

Wonderful!
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Thank you Chashio!

Here are my first steps.
    I feel more comfortable with a hand drawn feel, so I’m doing this map this way, no time for experiments.
    I think there will be also other mountains and other rivers, then I will decide the rest.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the union wip 1.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	4.19 MB 
ID:	82386

Very nice and good story. I already like the color choices and mountains.

Nice start Fabio, and nice feel!! come on, those mountains won't color themselves!

Thank you everybody!
    And no, sadly mountains won't colour themselves as Union people mostly despise magic

And now the update:

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the union wip 2.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	3.32 MB 
ID:	82540

Uuu, really cool, like that a lot of maps have taken this different, more earthy type of look
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

Good colors and shadings. It has a antique/alien feel (I'm thinking of Mars) to it.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Looks great, the shading and colors is excellent! Except ()I'm not a fan of the red around the mountains, a bit too strong imo which makes the mountains seem less integrated with the rest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast