Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MAP 43 - The Idiosyncracy of Valpolicella

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Default Map 43 - The Idiosyncracy of Valpolicella

For my lovely cluster of islands in what I'm calling the Winedark Sea, Valpolicella is a whimsical empire where art and sophistication are highly prized, and viticulture a treasured religion: an early industrial civilisation where elegance goes hand in hand with machinery.

The nation has three classes of citizen: the Valpol, the Helots, and the Idiopaths. All citizens are born Valpol - dedicated to living life to the full, drinking, playing, dancing, drawing, making art and poetry, designing beautiful homes and gardens, and enjoying life as much as possible. This is assumed to be the natural human condition we are born with, spoiled only by a spiritual malady which Valpol term "The Wan".

The origin of The Wan is unknown, but it leads to dissatisfaction with a life of simple enjoyment. Those succumbing to The Wan become Helots - people who dedicate their life to useful pursuits: ploughing the fields, harvesting crops, building ships and fighting Valpolicella's occasional wars.

The most serious cases of The Wan have a restful desire for change, for imposing rules and order, for "doing good". These become the Idiopaths, an unfortunate yet useful class who form the bureaucracy, gather taxes, and busy themselves making laws, yet rarely get invited to parties.

The north of the nation is hot and dry, with most people living on the south coast. The province of Helotage is the industrial heartland, centred on the city of Helotrix, famous for its clocks, its jewellery, and its corsetry. Pinotage to the east is the agricultural belt and producer of the nation's most vital and valued commodity: wine. The nation produces a vast variety of wines, spirits and liqueurs, which are exported far and wide, the backbone of the economy.

The Isle of Eleganza is the spiritual heartland of Valpolicella, a soft and temperate land of gardens and houses where Valpols pass from soiree to salon to ballroom. Arguzia Frizzante is the nation's capital, a city of domes and sparkling spires, where music plays and wine flows night and day. Here the Idiopaths rule from the Palace of Guastafeste, their busybodying overseen by the Festaioli, an adhocratic parliament who can overrule anything too extreme.

--

And so here's my map - very, very early days as you can see. I'm going with an Art Deco or Art Nouveau theme (I need to pick one). Valpolicella uses metric - when you're drunk it's far too complicated to work things out in feet and inches

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valpolicella-v1.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	691.4 KB 
ID:	82137
    Last edited by Robulous; 04-06-2016 at 04:11 PM.

That sounds like just the right holiday destination. I like Jugendstil, hedonism ... and ofc Wine
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    That sounds like just the right holiday destination. I like Jugendstil, hedonism ... and ofc Wine
    Jugendstil - YES Nouveau and deco too.

So draft 2, I've sorted out a frame style and fixed a choice of fonts. I'm going for an Art Nouveau look, that seems most appropriate. Needs more detail.

Is the scale clear? Each block at the bottom is 200 km. These countries are huge.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valpolicella-v2.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	82203
    Last edited by Robulous; 04-07-2016 at 02:06 PM.

Looking good neighboor!

I like your backstory!

I believe an envoy from Nahadua set sail some time ago, heading for the shores of Valpolicella...
    I was not privy to the details regarding that particular voyage.
    May have been mercantile and cheese related. Or a political envoy.
    We'll know more when they reach your shores.

Many foreign envoys pass through the Sober Straits only to get wrecked on the rocks of the Coquetaile Isles, never to be coherently heard from again.

We'll ask at the bar.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Excellent, really digging the Noveau look. Note to self: must make a… dieselpunk? Steampunk?… Jugendpunk map sometime

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast