Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Map 44 - Niir

I might be blind or just unable to notice 'em, really.

Blog Entries

Do you have a WIP you can post or are still able to mark the boundary line on your map ? I cant tell where the edge of the country is to clip it into the composite. Thx

Ah, sure. Here's the one with added border to Valpolicella. It's pretty much done, but I might return to do more touching up, time permitting.

### LATEST WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guild World Map - Country 44 - New Begginings.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	82523

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

That's looking fantastic, excellent progress! I need to do roads I'll make sure mine meet up. Just couple of points:

Remember we're in the southern hemisphere here so your north coast is hot at 23ºS (like the Caribbean or Sahara desert) and your desert is approx 40ºS, like New York or Barcelona. Obviously we don't know the climate of this world but on earth that's a temperate latitude. Spain and Portugal are relatively dry at 40 north but they're influenced by a cold sea current - there would have to be a pretty significant cold current bringing cool polar water, which makes sense given the geography.

Your Grunheim Mountains label covers two separate mountain chains to the east and west of a river - I assumed Grunheim was the mountains on our eastern border?

Talking of borders I think the rivers are our northern and southern borders! Unless you fight wanna over it :p
    Last edited by Robulous; 04-14-2016 at 08:21 PM.

Looking good. I'm getting a real Final Fantasy vibe from this map for some reason. I think it's the mount Himmel, reminds me of Sabin.

Thanks for the kind words!

Now, for the meaty part. Robulous, don't worry about the border, I'll tighten it up on the next version. Also, thanks for the insight on the climate part, as I'm not all that good with that yet so it's always good to have more input.

The northern area will likely get some updating, the coasts and areas that are dryer than others need better coloring. The desert defies the conventions beacuse it's of magical origin, as mentioned in that story about God-King, which is why it borders a big forest like that directly. Slowly, but surely, it'll spread and ignore conventions of climates, making mapmakers in the future of Guild World wonder just what kind of amateur made those ancient maps.

Labeling'll get an update soon enough.

There'll be a new version one of these days. I've been busy with another project and college lately.

Alright here it is. I do think this'll do as the final version. While I am finding the whole biome&climate discussion fun, I'd have too much work on my hands to reshape Niir to fit properly. Thus, it'll remain as is, further touched up as promised.

Tentative final version.

### LATEST WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guild World Map - Country 44 - New Begginings.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	82662

Very nice! One thing to me seems almost that the firsts are above the mountains, it might just be they're so much crisper than everything else, but it doesn't seem like they're floating over the whole land, the mountains just don't seem very tall..

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SrgDark View Post
    Thanks for the kind words!
    thanks for the insight on the climate part, as I'm not all that good with that yet so it's always good to have more input.
    Annoyingly I made a mistake - those latitude lines are at 15 degree separations so we're even further south than I thought, our southern coastlines are 60 degrees south, more like Alaska or Norway, though our north coast is 30S, roughly about Spain or South Africa.

We should probably name our island - we have the Crimson Sea and the Winedark Sea so I was thinking of red-themed words... Erythraea means red, a safe option. The Bloodwater Isles? Having seas teaming with krill (which are red) would make for red waters.

Thanks Josiah. Yeah, it does seem so at some points. Something to work on in the future.

Erythraea sounds good to me Robulous.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast