Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Map 42 - Wuqiong, the Eternal Land

This map is a wonderful style. I love your mountains!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Definitely one of the coolest things I've seen in the Guild in a long time. Perfect font: very 'Eastern' but still legible.

Wow, thanks! That means a lot. Unfortunately I've actually (kinda) changed the font. I still love it, but I think for some of the cities it was a bit hard to read some letters, so I'm playing around with it. I'm leaning towards the serif font plus some Chinese characters to create the idea of a native map that was taken by foreigners to help them map it out (taking some inspiration from the Chinese map from Pirates of the Caribbean, which combines Chinese imagery and calligraphy with detailed maps of the Caribbean). But still not sure, so I may go back to the previous font if this doesn't work out.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wuqiong-wip-04.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	82382

But added another junk illustration, and drew some more cities in the south and gave them names. Once the map is done I want to go more in depth with mythology and history of the different areas and regions, but for the "capital" Zhengfu, I've decided that it is composed of 4 cities, Shoudu, Fanzui, Shangren, and Jiocha, which eventually grew and grew until power became centralized under the Qian Dynasty. So the cities together become Zhenfu, think roughly Kowloon Walled City but the size of Singapore.

Also working on the huge cloud to the northwest, giving a here be monsters kind of vibe, hoping that we don't get that extra landmass because it might squish in the seas a bit too much, but we'll make it work either way. Still not sure whether or not to include the current continent to the west or not. I like how it looks currently without it, maybe the map was made before it was discovered by the Wuqionese? Also not sure of how much detail to put into the other surrounding countries, if I should do mountains/rivers, or fog or just leave it and color it.

But still a lot to do, just slowly getting to the illustrations and to the point where I try to paint the landscape and need to finalize colors and the look and everything. Yikes.
    Last edited by Goombac; 04-11-2016 at 11:59 AM.

Great work so far Goombac. I think this will looks really cool when finished.

Cheers,
    Tainotim

This is really cool to watch develop.
    I love those cities Goombac. Well all of it actually.

I like the way you're doing all those cities and towns. That volcano is wonderful, too.

I think we are using similar inspirations, especially for the clouds (I'm still working on these), and I have to say that I love the general art style. It will be interesting to see how both maps will turn out once finished.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I hear ya about text legibility. What is that original font you used, anyway? It's awesome.

A W E S O M E ! You barely started this map, and I already love it! the "inked" lineart, the clouds, the font and everything, they all create an unique oriental feeling!

What a fabulous style... it's looking really awesome.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast