Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Map 42 - Wuqiong, the Eternal Land

Default Map 42 - Wuqiong, the Eternal Land

I've chosen to go an East Asian inspired route and honor my (half) Chinese ancestors. The territory is called Wuqiong, and in our world (based on latitudes) it would stretch from about the south of Vietnam to mid-Mongolia.

The south is dominated by harsh jungles and pirates, mystical forests in the center and rugged plains to the north, cut off from the rest of the continent by its mountain range. Haven't been able to read too far in depth in everyone else's stuff yet, but I'm thinking the pirates take advantage of the death cults and volcanoes in the south as well as the zombies from Cocarne which tend to keep authorities away from the area. And the city centers definitely take advantage of Losnivanian tea and wool to the east, as well as Gorgomothan exports to the southeast, since the Wuqionese tend to not venture too deeply into their own jungles.

Gonna go an illustrative map, still working everything out first though. I haven't gone too deeply into names and mythology but I've gotten some stuff done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wuqiong-wip-01.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	549.3 KB 
ID:	82155

The North: Tribe eat tribe, where the strongest survive. If you can't make it in the horselands, perhaps you will find hope in the desert.

Central: The collection of trade cities has been ruled by the Qian Dynasty for a millenium, and they grasp their power strongly, not that others haven't tried to usurp them.

Mountains: A rough life, in the wilds or in the monasteries, which produce powerful thinkers and mages.

The South: If the jungle doesn't eat you, someone else will. The land is full of dark cults with dark magic. Maybe a passing Pirate will pick you up, if you can escape the jungle.

Your notes and sketches are looking very promising Goombac!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Thanks! Hopefully it turns out well, I'm still not sure exactly how everything's gonna look, just kinda winging it as I go.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	wuqiong-wip-02.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	853.4 KB 
ID:	82171

Trying to go for a style that emulates Chinese art, but with more cartography thrown in, plus inspiration from other sources. Still need to work out colors, and how the forests and other terrain and stuff are going to look, but I want to try and incorporate watercolor in it somehow, and more illustrations like the junk ship.
    Last edited by Goombac; 04-08-2016 at 05:36 AM.

Yes, this is going to be cool.
    I like that you're using that style of mountains.
    What a wonderful start.

That's a very cool style, I love the sketchiness of it.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Heya neighbor - like what you're building out so far.

Perhaps there are some cultural ties to the giants of Gorgomotha to the east in the mountains, the jungles, and the southeastern peninsula?
    Current Project: The Low Countries & Their Periphery, c. 1584

Do you like Renaissance and early modern history? Check out my Facebook page, Renaissance Netherlands with Will Phillips.

I love it already
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Will Phillips View Post
    Heya neighbor - like what you're building out so far.

Perhaps there are some cultural ties to the giants of Gorgomotha to the east in the mountains, the jungles, and the southeastern peninsula?
    Thanks everyone! And totally, I was considering moving the map a bit more east to include Gorgomotha like I did in my first wip, so I'll go ahead and do that here too. But definitely love the idea of incorporating something around/in the Twin Cities!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

This looks awesome!

Thanks Lingon!

Experimented a bit with the cities, and I think I got something that looks good zoomed in or out. Of course this is the biggest city so the others won't be quite like this.

Name:	wuqiong-wip-02b.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	674.0 KB 
ID:	82236

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast