Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Map 44 - Niir

Map Map 44 - Niir

Niir is the old name for the lands west of Grunheim Mountains, which set the border with Valpolicella beyond. Those that live in these lands flocked to fertile valleys and rivers that run though them, tracing their swift begginings from the tall mountains rich with ore. Many great cities have been established in these lands, but only some have stood the test of time to this day. - Traveler's guide to Recurian Empire

I lack the skill to draw my own mountains, but I'm not without weapons. Thanks to star raven's and eragon's brushes, I was able to start this up. This is progress thus far. Next update'll come this weekend I think. I'll be too busy to put any work into it sooner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guild World Map - Country 44 - First Try.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	535.7 KB 
ID:	82151

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Looks great - Grunheim presumably meaning Green-home, I'll call them something Verde on the Valpolicellan side.

Btw you there's a tiny discrepancy in our maps - on mine (see here #43) there's a headland on your side that's in my colours (on the far left of my original map). I've made that an isolated colony or outpost of Valpolicella called Highball. It can be disputed. Maybe we had a war about it

Also I'm calling the river that forms our southern border the Bitter River, that's as far as I've got. Possibly coming down out of the mountains it's rocky and unnavigable, hence it's a border. Or something.
    Last edited by Robulous; 04-06-2016 at 06:18 PM.

Upon the southern island, which was once lush with woodland, now spreads Shardspear desert, named after the native tribe that had by chance awakened God-King Alniir. Nobody knows who he truly is, but his power is unquestioned. From his fortress city, he blights the land, turning more and more of it into sand over which his armies of undead march in grim silence, reclaiming land in his name.

In the mainland of Niir, stretching across the rolling hills and lowlands in the shadow of the mountains, is Recurian Empire. Under absolute rule of emperor Sigfried IV. it thrives and grows in power during these peaceful times, while their southern neighboors in Kingdom of Nervis abide by their oft spoken and well cherished saying; Never trust a Recurian.

Progress continues. I managed to catch some time to put in some work today. Mountains and the forests turned out better than I expected, but I had to redo the rivers (ended up losing a few, which I'll amend in the future). Gave more color to the land, marking the fertile lowlands with darker green, while I kept the lighter one for hilly/highlands. The desert is magically induced, thus not abiding to usual rules of what makes a desert.

As for the meaning of the name, I'd have to check, really. German isn't my strong suit. Yeah, that river and those mountains are one great natural border.

Anyhow, let me know what you think.

Name:	Guild World Map - Country 44 - 2nd Version.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	638.9 KB 
ID:	82211
    Last edited by SrgDark; 04-08-2016 at 09:45 AM.

Those are some pretty nice forests! Overall a pretty good map so far, keep it up!

By the way, nice story.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Thank you! I can only take the credit for coloring the forests, really. They're one of Neyjour's freebies.

Had some PC trouble today. I had put in more work in colors, especially valleys. Put down better labels, names for major cities too. Then boom, a BSOD. I didn't save, the fool I was. Series of them in hourly increments for most of the day. Now I'll be redoing that progress again, when it's not going nuts on me.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Yup looks good - just I'd suggest making it clear there's a border to the east, either a line or maybe fade out the terrain more.

They say that within vast confines of Stoneweald lies a city more ancient than any upon this continent, filled with wonderous archeotech. However, path to it has long been lost, hidden away by the forest. Many brave souls venture every year into its depths, but few of these are ever heard of again. Those that do manage to find their way back often come with tales of monsters which infest the forest, as well as great ruins haunted by sleepless guardians that know no fear or mercy for those who intrude upon their domain. Nobody who had returned from the forest had ever found the fabled Niirveal, but its story nontheless continues to inspire adventurers to seek it out. Like moths to the flame, they wander deep and often enough, never return. - Ancient Cultures of Niir, Magister Franco Richter

I colored out your side into something noticeable, it ought do for now. After that bad luck where I lost a lot of my progress, I decided to take a look at things from another angle and give it a try. Thus, I redid some parts of my map so that I can say that I did these mountains and forests. I wasn't happy with how little icons turned out on the color anyway. Thus, I give you the newest version!

I welcome all thoughts, criticism and suggestions!

Name:	Guild World Map - Country 44 - 2nd Version.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	82329
    Last edited by SrgDark; 04-11-2016 at 07:53 AM.

Rozaria is the heart of the Empire. It had gone far from its humble beginnings as a simple fortress city set upon the estuary of river Nohr. Today, it spans miles, built with care and precision by many generations of architects. Maze of its streets is cut though by straight and wide main avenues, all of which lead through most important districts of the city towards the Gates of Eternity.

Most magnificent of all is the Imperial District. Its spires strike out into the sky like brilliant lances of silver, ringing the gargantuan dome of Imperial Palace. The Gates of Eternity, coated with gold and mythril, stand ever open to admit thousands that move in and out of the district daily, stern faces of twin guardians sculpted at its sides promising naught but retribution for any foul deed done within this sacred ground.
    - History of Rozaria

Progress continues! I've lain in some hill areas, the road and cities. Major cities got their names. Still unsure if I'll bother to name all the minor cities. The map is close to completion now, I'd say.

As before, I invite you to share your thoughts, criticism and suggestions.

Name:	Guild World Map - Country 44 - New Begginings.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	82389
    Last edited by SrgDark; 04-14-2016 at 04:45 PM.

Looking good so far. One thing I noticed with the forest is there seems to be lines running horizontally and vertically through them, especially Stoneweald.. I don't know what that is from or how to fix it though...

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

The lines are an artifact of the fractal used to make the forest, if I recall. It's one of those artifacts that screams "The GIMP!" to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast