Thread: Iarchem and Tasari

Guild Apprentice

Map Iarchem and Tasari

"Iarchem and Tasari also; lands and seas; her holiness in 1304 caused to be made"

Hand drawn and lettered in ink and watercolour then digitally touched up. Actual size is 35x28cm. This is another practice piece based on the mid 16th century style where delineations are becoming more precise but things are still rather haphazard. There is so much more I could have added (sea monsters!) or refined but I am still really a learner and this is practice! It took around 8 hours all told.

Criticism would be most welcome!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iarchem export.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	82385

Very nice work Whump. I think you managed to mirror the style in a pretty impressive way actually. Great work.

As for feedback, that's difficult. Hmm. perhaps the coast linework could use a little more "irregularities", to just slightly more look like the style you are going for. However, that is just a small detail.

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Great piece, you nailed the style really well. I especially like the lettering

Guild Journeyer Guild Supporter onez's Avatar

Beautiful work! The style is really charming and well executed.

I think it could just use a bit more "paper texture" and it would really look like an ancient map.

Great work on the style! Really nice map. Doesn't look like you're still learning.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Guild Apprentice

Thank you everyone for the kind comments and feedback!

@onez - yes, I see your point. It was drawn on modern cold pressed paper which does have some texture but it hasn't really shown up that much in the scan. Honestly the texture caused problems with the inking too - it was too rough. For the future it will probably be better to draw on a flatter paper and then add a richer texture digitally.

@chashio - You're very kind but I definitely feel like a learner! All of the map's elements are essentially copied from one source or another. I'd like to get to the stage where I'm more fluent with them and can start to develop my own style and elements.

A wonderful piece Whump!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh