Thread: Guildworld - Climate and Biome discussion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Just checking so that my map doesn't look really out of place
    What would the climate and biomes of #52 be like? I did think it might be similar to #55, but there's a dirty great big mountain range separating us
    I did consider it might be like Southeast Asia or Central America, but there's less ocean by it...

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Corilliant View Post
    Just checking so that my map doesn't look really out of place
    What would the climate and biomes of #52 be like? I did think it might be similar to #55, but there's a dirty great big mountain range separating us
    I did consider it might be like Southeast Asia or Central America, but there's less ocean by it...
    The 52 is quite similar to 55 because it is on the same peninsula and has about the same latitude range.
    But if the temperatures are similar (hot), there are significant différences in humidity.
    The dominating winds from the Hadley cell come from the NE. So arriving on 52 they have a high absolute humidity because they are warm and come from the ocean. But when they arrive on 55, they have already crossed 52 and dropped most of their rain.
    That's why I said that 55 will be relatively dry in the SE (along the border with 52).

You have then a quite big N/S mountain range. The humid NE winds will rise along it's eastern slope, cool and expand and it's there that 52 will have most rain.
    Symetrically on the western side we will have a "rain shadow" because the air will be dry and it will rain much less.
    Last but not least the extreme South will be tropical - hot and wet like 55.

So the climate on the eastern part will be like Caribic - Cuba, Haiti (minus the hurricanes).
    The climate on the western half (in the rain shadow of the ranges) will be drier - like Kenya.