Thread: Guildworld - Climate and Biome discussion

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Default Global climate map

Ok so here's a very rough climate map of ocean currents and prevailing winds, assuming an earth-like world with tropics at 23 degrees, rotating in the same direction as earth with sunrise in the east. I studied environmental science but I'm not an expert, this is just what I remember from climatology 101!

Blue/red are ocean currents, the blue bringing cool nutrient-rich waters often good for fishing, but dry air making the climate drier than average for latitude. Warm currents carry wet humid air so lead to increased rainfall.

Prevailing winds (yellow/purple) bring in weather from whichever direction they're blowing - eg Britain gets most of its weather from westerlies blowing from the Atlantic, so often mild and wet. Winds blowing from inland will bring dusty hot weather in summer, and cold dry weather in winter.

Obviously is affected by a huge amount of factors so it's just a guideline. But our world's tropical/equatorial zone it's mostly land, so would tend to be quite dry especially inland, particularly #22 the aptly named Dry Lands!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ocean climate.png 
Views:	145 
Size:	776.5 KB 
ID:	82543
    Last edited by Robulous; 04-15-2016 at 07:07 AM.