Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Map 06 - The Lands of Icewind

That was really quick but it's a beauty arsheesh.
    You get results quick.

Thanks everyone.

@J. Yeah I've been really busy with a bunch of different projects and didn't have as much time to work on this as I would have liked. I had to work quickly. It still feels somewhat empty to me though, as if it's missing something. Perhaps I'll work on some sort of emblem of the tribal confederacy or something.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Amazingly beautiful! I really love the textures and those mountains!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Fantastic! Hello neighbor! This turned out just as awesome as I thought it would!

Man, really hard to keep track of the 50+ maps of this project... Can only agree with the others, it's looking really neat and has a lot of atmosphere to it. Besides the nice landscape sculpting, i especially like the colors you've chosen.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Thanks everyone.

@J. Yeah I've been really busy with a bunch of different projects and didn't have as much time to work on this as I would have liked. I had to work quickly. It still feels somewhat empty to me though, as if it's missing something. Perhaps I'll work on some sort of emblem of the tribal confederacy or something.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Two things that came to mind when I went back to look at it, to see if anything jumped out at me - some sort of symbol/badge or some bit of text and some kind of border.
    I mean, there's other things you could add but those 2 things seemed like things that would make it feel more 'finished' so to speak.
    I may have to take lessons and learn this style - it's a really splendid look and feel and would be wonderful to achieve a number of different combination styles.
    Is this based on your Eriond tutorial? or is it something different?

Quote Originally Posted by Domino44 View Post
    Amazingly beautiful! I really love the textures and those mountains!
    Thank you Domino.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    Fantastic! Hello neighbor! This turned out just as awesome as I thought it would!
    I'm glad you think so, thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Man, really hard to keep track of the 50+ maps of this project... Can only agree with the others, it's looking really neat and has a lot of atmosphere to it. Besides the nice landscape sculpting, i especially like the colors you've chosen.
    I know what you mean, I'm still seeing some entries for the first time. Thanks, I'm pleased with the colors myself.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Two things that came to mind when I went back to look at it, to see if anything jumped out at me - some sort of symbol/badge or some bit of text and some kind of border.
    I mean, there's other things you could add but those 2 things seemed like things that would make it feel more 'finished' so to speak.
    I may have to take lessons and learn this style - it's a really splendid look and feel and would be wonderful to achieve a number of different combination styles.
    Is this based on your Eriond tutorial? or is it something different?
    Thanks for the tips J. I have an idea regarding the badge that I'm going to try out when I get some more free time.

As to the process, Waldronate gets the credit here. He posted a really quick walk-through on his method over on my Eriond tutorial thread (comment #70). I modified this a bit however. Rather than importing the mountain, hill and rivers layers separately into Wilbur as selections, I just created a rather quick and dirty height map as shown below. As you can see, it doesn't even need to be all that detailed; Wilbur will do much of the detail for you. You just need to have the main bits in place. Also, I found that alternating between steps worked well. So I'd add some noise, fill basins, run an incise flow, run 4-8 passes of precipiton erosion, rinse and repeat. Of course I used different perimeters for the incise flow each time to get different effects. I didn't write anything down though, a lot of it was just trial and error. So best advice I can give is to read through Waldronate's tutorials (also, a2area's Israh tutorial is helpful) and do your own experimenting.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GHM.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	83176  
    Last edited by arsheesh; 04-30-2016 at 01:16 AM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Awesome, Arsheesh!! Great atmosphere. I like how many tribal societies there are in the Guildworld…

Hi Arsheesh

Firstly, let me just say that your map is fantastic! Very moody and the use of colour and form certainly helps to tell a story, which I think all the best maps do.

I'm new on the forums, so I've been trying to drink from a fire hose in terms of info (tutorials, WIP threads, etc). After this map caught my eye, I went back to your full tutorial, and read through Waldronate's comments there and his tutorial threads as well.

I was hoping you could confirm my basic understanding of the workflow you applied to this map please? As I understand it:
    - Draw land mass (and create a mask for later)
    - Draw height map (covering mountains, hills and rivers per your attachments)
    - Import the height map into Wilbur, bound the effects using the mask, and let Wilbur work it's erosion magic
    - Take the resulting Wilbur height and bump maps back into GIMP/PS and start the compositing process
    - Paint or use gradients to colour
    - Do all the other finishing magic
    - Profit!

Is that about right (ignoring all the specific settings and such)?

Again, awesome map mate, and very inspirational for recreating a similar style.

That is pretty much the same process I use, which makes sense wince it is based off of yours and Waldronates tutorials on his page

I think I found though that it would pay to actually work on the initial grey scale height map in more detail before going through the Wilburization which takes quite a lot of time. In particular getting all the ridges and lines in first hand. Not doing so I found I had to go back a lot to gimp to editing the height map before running it through Wilbur again.

Oh also if one is aiming for particular river routes to really set those down darker a few heights below the surrounding grey scale so the incise flow will head to them. and also ensure that they are a smooth down hill towards the sea or just make them entirely slightly above sea level.

Ozdarchangel that looks like the right workflow, but I suggest you check the Eriond tutorial Arsheesh made and obliquely linked to, it is really good and useful and you'll learn a lot by doing it. I did.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast