Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller
I see, but those "extras" are not counted into the work force per se right? I mean they are dropped out when it comes to determining the "workers". Of course some are probably of working age... Yea, that would be a difficult figure to put in.
No, they're not specifically accounted for in the workforce, and the GM needs to do some interpretation.

If you need to figure actual "workers," here are some guidelines off the top of my head:
  • Freeholders would in most cases be guildsmen (depending on how industry is set up in the setting); they may have one or two younger apprentices
  • The less skilled the work, the younger the worker can be. As a result, a smith's apprentice might start at 12-15 years, but a farmer's 4-year-old can help herd sheep
  • Young children will almost always be tasked with domestic chores, as early as they can be trusted to do them: laundering clothes, gathering firewood (an endless task), running errands, tending animals, farming/herding, etc.)

As a result, a freeholder family of 4.5 might consist of a father, his apprentice son, and a mother who raises 1.5 younger kids :wink:

A citizen/farmer family of 4.25 might consist of a father who works the land, with the help of his wife and 2.25 kids.

Or consider a city officer--these were drawn from the citizenry, and historically were tenants just like other farmers. An officer's family of 4.25 might consist of a father who does his bit as reeve, messor, or woodward, but he won't have an apprentice, leaving his wife and children to run the farm, or perhaps his oldest son to apprentice out to a freeholder.

So, basically, you can carve out your workforce from the total population however you see fit. The only "rule" would be that workforce cannot consist of nobles, clergy, or officers (though, as noted, officers' families can be in the workforce).

Hope that doesn't muddy things up too much!

Cheers,
-Erin