Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cartographical Collaborator Needed

Default Cartographical Collaborator Needed

Hello everyone. I have fortunately stumbled across this board and write in the hopes of finding someone willing to collaborate with me to create a new map for a variant of the board game Diplomacy. I am well known in the Diplomacy variant community, and have previously designed several variants. My cartography skills are, however, rudimentary. I can devise maps which are legible and useful for play but artistry and more complex techniques are beyond me.

I think this variant is beyond my skills. A global variant, based upon the world in the year 1700, this will likely require map distortion or inset maps to emphasize certain areas of the world (probably Europe, the Caribbean and the East Indies).

To give you an idea of the type of work involved, as well as of my limited drafting skills, here is my Diplomacy website, which contains several of my Diplomacy variants: http://diplomiscellany.tripod.com/.

Oops. It appears this may have gone in the wrong subforum, as I now see there is one for map requests. If so, I ask that an admin/moderator please move it to the appropriate forum.

Moved it for you.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Help

No takers? I am disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by David E. cohen View Post
    No takers? I am disappointed.
    That may be for a number of reasons.
    First, it doesn't look like a paid commission. No one really wants to work for free.
    Second, if it is an unofficial boardgame, then people may feel like there might be copyright issues.
    Those are just some thoughts. Also, site traffic has been slower lately, partly due to us having had some access issues and moving the server.
    But it's also slower in summer too.

Guild Novice
    Blog Entries

This looks interesting.
    I am doing some reading and would like to clarify a few things:
    • You want a global map of Earth
    • You want closeups on Europe, the Caribbean and the East Indies
      -are these separate maps or is this one massive board?
    • You want clear trade routes between non-adjacent territories
    • Are there any rules surrounding how many territories there are? Or in how many routes in and out such as in Risk?

I am looking to build a portfolio so commission is not as important to me. As I understand it, the board I would be producing doesn't have any licensed material on it so I don't see copyrights being an issue, or do you need specific symbology?

Tyler

Hello Triceratops. Thank you for your interest.

In response to your questions:

Yes, this would be a single, rather large global map. I am looking for simplicity and ease of use by a wide variaty of game masters, many of whom will be as clumsy at map use as I am, but if a little elegance and a period feel can be added, that would be great.

Of necessity, due to the small size of some of the territories, called Provinces in Diplomacy, that I anticipate creating, either inset maps or deformation of the map enlarging those areas will be required. This will likely mostly be in Europe, the Caribbean and the East Indies. Some Provinces will be quite large and others quite small. The smallest just need to be big enough to hold a couple of symbols and the Province name (or there could be space adacent for the name).

There are no trade routes or pathways between non-adjacent Provinces in this variant.

I am still working out how many Provinces there will be, and placement of Supply Centers (strategic cities, the conquest and holding of which is the basis of gameplay), but it will likely be in the range of 200.

No specific symbology is necessary. Diplomacy variant maps often use generic symbols (often geometric) for units and Supply Centers, denoting ownership by color.

How familiar are you with Diplomacy? It is, as some have said, Risk for grownups. I can give you or point you to whatever information you need.

Hi David,
    I'm interested. I like world/regional map making best and I utilize 15-17th century techniques (etching or engraving prints) or styles ('that look' replicated with hand dipped fine pens) you can see some examples here. Let me know if you are interested. You can PM me here (if you can yet) or email me at ryanjoelquinn@gmail.com.

I used to have diplomacy when I was a kid, but I didn't get it, and I played risk . I'd probably really like the game now!
    Cheers,
    Cuin

----------------------
    on instagram at cuin_the_cartographer

Hello Cuin. I took a look at your maps. Beautiful stuff that you do by hand! You have more artistic talent than I could dream of. But I think this needs to be a computer generated map, rather than hand drawn, since the play will be web/email based. I do not expect there will be a need for a physical map any time soon.

But I think this needs to be a computer generated map, rather than hand drawn
    Thanks for the compliments! A physical print can always be scanned and digitized. Or perhaps you're partial to a different style. If you change your mind, I'll be around.
    Cheers,
    Cuin

----------------------
    on instagram at cuin_the_cartographer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast