Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solar System of Science Fantasy Game - Comments desired

Wip Solar System of Science Fantasy Game - Comments desired

So I am developing the solar system and ultimately the Omniverse around my game world. I have spent some time doing the best research i could about planetary systems and created this system. Please let me know what you think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KralisSolarSystem1.png 
Views:	595 
Size:	3.94 MB 
ID:	84119

Guild Novice
    Blog Entries

You may want to check it with this: http://www.stefanom.org/spc/
    It looks cool so far.

So on top of that, here is my first layout of the Galaxy that this system resides. Along wiht the begins of placements for other nearby galaxies and one really far reaching galaxy...Thoughts??
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MurcarsiusArphemal(Galaxy).png 
Views:	321 
Size:	6.04 MB 
ID:	84125

It looks really cool to me. The colors are great and the background appealing.

I assume it's a schematic representation, much as you sometimes see our own solar system represented as a series of equally spaced circles. In real life, of course, planets are not equally spaced and there are good gravitational reasons for that.

I like it, for what my opinion is worth.

Guild Novice
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HBrown View Post
    I assume it's a schematic representation
    Can you imagine having to scroll around for a to-scale galaxy? It would take all day!

Quote Originally Posted by Triceratops View Post
    Can you imagine having to scroll around for a to-scale galaxy? It would take all day!
    I was thinking of the planetary system display, but I admit the point is still relevant.

Always nice to see some space maps. Good start, especially with the galactic map, imo.
    A few comments/critics : a scale would be nice for the distances from the sun (even if they are equally spaced on the map), maybe on the orbital line, for example. I assume the planets are to scale? Some shadows are not making sense for the planets. For example, Mhar and Phultaar are darker on the star side ; Kralis and Nuphan are correct. And I would probably made the star background a bit darker to make the rest pop more.
    For the galactic map, I would just maybe add a line around the different zones. And why yellow for the notable stars? Have you tried simply white?

I would recommend applying a Spherize filter (or whatever the relevant distortion is in your program) to each of the planets. They look a little flat. Also, Bhuragask seems to be partially transparent - I can see the orbit line behind it. Is this intentional?

Also, I'd love to see how you made the graphics for some of these, especially Talok and Mhar. And Nuphan's topography looks frustratingly similar and judging by the detail variance with some of the others (and the presence of some more identifiable Sol System planets), I'm guessing it's a recolored Nasa image. Mercury, maybe? It doesn't feel like the Moon, but sometimes my brain looks at it and thinks that; hard to tell with the colors, so I can't place it. Either way, though, it looks great! Amazing what a new coat of paint can do to liven up the place.

-asp
    My current worldbuilding experiment(s):
    Geidor
    --------------------------------------------

But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
    I have spread my dreams under your feet;
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
    -W.B. Yeats

Blog Entries

Mhar - looks to be a very small part of the OLD and orange Venus map
    the yellow / orange was a bad idea back in the 90's and still is

Nuphan - is a colored image of Dione
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Praise

I like it. I've seen worse art in RPG books I paid full price for. Rep.
    In space...no one can hear you whine...
    Help me make more maps!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast