Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** June 2016 Challenge: Map a Real Place in a Fantasy or SciFi Style***

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default *** June 2016 Challenge: Map a Real Place in a Fantasy or SciFi Style***

Onwards! Upwards! Time for the next monthly Challenge at everyone's favorite Guild. Your mission this time around is to pick out any real world place (New York City, Botswana, your commute route, the Indian Ocean, whatever) and turn it into a fantasy (or scifi) map.

Something along the lines of this, or this, or even this. It doesn't have to be direct translation either; you could do a post-apocalypse version of your hometown, for example. The only stipulation is that the map has to be recognizable as showing a version of an actual place. If you're showing something a little more obscure than, say, the city of London, you might want to link to a map of the place you're re-creating, if only so we can judge you more harshly.

Don't forget to label your threads like so:

June 2016 Challenge: << your title goes here >>

Also please don't forget to include the following hashtag in front of each work-in-progress picture:

### Latest WIP ###

Otherwise the image scraper won't pick up the picture and we won't be able to see it when it's time to vote. Speaking of voting, we'll have three days of it starting on or around Friday, July 1st. After that, our winner will receive a majestic Golden Compass of Glory. (Or maybe it was a Hand of Glory; I can't remember.)

Good luck!
    Last edited by Diamond; 06-04-2016 at 12:44 AM.

Oh yeah, I'm in for this! Might do Scotland, or a part of it, since I'm completely lacking in imagination. But who can resist drawing a Tolkien-style map?!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

LOL, funny, was just thinking something like that the other day. Hope I get the time, but vacation is coming up so its doubtful (cause carrying my big-ass computer on a plane... not good )

Good luck to all
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Another awesome sounding challenge.. I have a few places that I would love to map, hopefully I can get around to it.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Just to be clear: it doesn't have to be a Tolkien-style map. You could be clever and map an interstellar empire whose planets, when viewed from above, happen to form the outline of North America. You could map a barbarian king's throne room whose floor plan mimics the street layout of Paris, and the bearskins on the floor kind of look like the outlines of Australia. In other words, go crazy.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Oh yeah, I'm in for this! Might do Scotland, or a part of it, since I'm completely lacking in imagination. But who can resist drawing a Tolkien-style map?!
    How about an independent Scotland as an island? With the fishy Nicola Sturgeon as its Witch-Queen... :p

Haha, the Witch Queen of Olde Edinburghe does have a nice sound to it!

I'm hoping to get something up this weekend. I'm tentatively thinking of doing a map of Scottish castles. I foresee a lot of labelling in my future.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I might join in this one it looks like fun!
    You best get to steppin' then; you've got two weeks!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

might have to do something with my home, Malta

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast