Thread: Can't Import Wilbur MDR files into FT3

Default Can't Import Wilbur MDR files into FT3

Hi guys,

Having an issue I've been poking with a stick for the last 2 hours and can't make any ground on. At a very high level: I'm trying to export from Wilbur into FT3. When I create the new world from Binary file in FT3, it reads the MDR headers and automatically populates the dialog fields, but then my world is completely blue and devoid of any data.

In more detail - I'm following the World of Gotha tutorial, so I have:
    - Created my world in FT3
    - Exported to Wilbur using Special MDR (8192 samples wide)
    - Edited the world in Wilbur, and saved as an MDR Surface (32-bit float, though I've tried 16- and 8-bit as well)
    - Open FT3, new -> Binary File -> Choose Elevation, etc.
    - When I point the dialogue box at the MDR, it correctly reads the MDR and pre-fills the details (see screenshot)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	84290

- Then it displays a full screen with no contents (just solid blue)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	317.9 KB 
ID:	84291

I have searched the forums both here and the PF site, followed the There and Back Again tutorial, and most recently have tried the simplest test I could think of:
    1) Open FT3, let it create a new synthetic world
    2) Ensure editing size is set to Medium
    3) File -> Save As -> Special MDR -> 512 samples wide
    4) File -> Binary File -> Elevation File pointed to the MDR I created in step 3, dialogue correctly reads the header info, hit OK, Next, etc.
    5) Displays empty blue screen

To me, I feel the last series of steps isolates the issue to FT3 and I can rule out Wilbur. Given I've used a 512 sample width in the last test I also feel reasonably confident it's not a "your working resolution is too high" issue.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My PC is an i7-4790K with 32GB RAM, running Windows 10 x64 in case there's an issue there.

Flip the world vertically in Wilbur before saving to MDR. Having Top < Bottom is a path to failure. There was a coding error along the way that led FT and Wilbur to have different opinions about "up".

A quick test to see if this is the problem is to set Top to 90 and Bottom to -90 and see if you get the expected data, but upside-down. If so, do the flip in Wilbur and off you go.

The empty blue screen is indicative of not being able to locate valid terrain data in the specified area.

Well I'll be darned, that worked! I don't understand - Im certain I flipped the image in Wilbur before I exported it to prevent that issue, as it was mentioned in the tutorial.

Thanks Waldronate, I'd skipped that troubleshooting step in a dozen forum posts I found trying to fix it as I'd assumed I'd already flipped it. You're a legend, cheers.