Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northern Saarsgard

Default Northern Saarsgard

I'm back!

Finally found some time, well I had to since I needed to make a map for a D&D session. This is a map of a northern part of the land in which the heroes live. There is some unrest up north so they need to visit the local towns and find out the reasons. That is why the towns are a bit..strong..on the map when compared to the rest of it.

While doing the map I think I finally discovered a forest style I like so I would to get some feedback about it in particular. Otherwise I know the ice in the north isnt finished, will try to do it the next few days..as well as adding a compass and scale. And the border is a bit minimalistic but that is why I am still trying out how to do it properly.

Anyway I think I can now continue with the long overdue guild world map encouraged with this here result

Please comment and discuss, would love to hear your thoughts, especially about the forests.

Cheers,
    Barek

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	north_saarsgard.jpeg 
Views:	235 
Size:	426.5 KB 
ID:	84408
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

I really like the forests, actually I think the strongest part of the map. I would love to see the shoreline, ice, and roads have the same level of detail!

That is great to hear And yes I will work on the ice..and now when you say it shoreline as well

Roads I actually like the way they are. What did you mean with more detail in their case? Handdrawn two thin lines with some sketching along it?

Cheers,
    Barek

Hi Barek. For the ice, imo you can improve it by using the same technique you chose for the hills. Like this, i feel they are top down drawn. Perhaps add some ice in the land to improve the continuity in the map.
    Your shorline seems too strong imo, perhaps the same width than the lake one, with the same color.
    Your forest are really good, with more size variation in your hills it would be nicer.
    Hope it helps.
    Happy to see you again
    Cheers.

Nice job so far, I think the forest name could be smaller. I've also had luck with a white outline, then less of an outer glow spread.

Good ideas Warlin. Yes the upper part was th first thing I made when the map was supposed to be much simpler. But then I tried to mimic one forest style i found online...in which I failed spectacularly But from it this was born and I loved it so I gave a bit more effort in the map. Will make a new version with the glaciers and coastline changes. and yes my hills suffer from this..separation syndrome, want to make them fit better together, and varying the sizes would be one way of helping it, thnx for the suggestion.

And glad to be back, PhD sometimes doesnt let me be active for longer periods of time

Thank you snodsy, yes it could be smaller but about the light I actually wanted to do it with this fade bellow it. I am actually glad I finally found out how to add words to path in Krita, now I can do everything there. the more i use the greater it seems. Until gimp 3. comes out, then probably going back to it but who knows

Cheers,
    Barek

By more detail in road I guess I more mean more dense spacing between dots to be more similar to your hatching and tree spacing, that's all!

Welcome back Barek..

Looking good here, I like the style of the forests quite a lot.

Maybe someone already mentioned this but the northern coastline is very thick... too thick in my opinion.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Thanks for clearing it up Jay but I really like how the roads turned out so I will leave them like they are

And thank you Josiah I addressed the point as well as the ice one.

So behold the final final version

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	north_saarsgard_2.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	438.0 KB 
ID:	84466

PS: Really happy with the glacier outcome. Hope it looks good to you guys as well.

Cheers,
    Barek

Oh, nice work! I like how the updated glaciers came out. I like the overall colors a lot - they really make me think of a northern tundra/forest sort of a region.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast