Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: City of Ironnesse: Where do I go from here?

Post Re: City of Ironnesse: Where do I go from here?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoseman
    I like that the area of Well Square actually has a square well. Seriously, though, it looks good. I like how things are coming along. Keep us updated!
    Thanks. Actually, the well in the square is rectangular. And it's a fountain/reflection pool

I'm not so sure I want to name it Well Square, though. That is something I came up with on the spur of the moment, right before uploading the map.

The "square" is a memorial to the Treaty that unified the Isle of Telarus. That treay is known as the "Treaty of the Well", simply because it was signed near the Telarus' biggest and most unique feature - a 3 mile wide hole known as the Lady's Well - in honor of the Goddess known only as the Lady.

So I've been toying with calling it Treaty Square, or The Square, or something like that. Actually, I'll probably give it the "official" name of "Treaty of the Lady's Well Memorial Square," which, of course, no one will really call it in everyday use. I just have to figure out what they really would call it...

Chris

You've certainly mastered the house tool for City Designer; I particularly like the way you created houses that fit into the acute-angle intersections.

Have you considered using the City>Random Street function to mix up the house fill styles a bit? By tweaking those styles (you can have up to five for any given street, and assign percentages for any given style to appear), you could produce a distinctive look for both your pre-war and reconstructed buildings.

I used that technique for this city map, where a client's city design had wealthy folks living on the city's east side and the poor living in the west. He wanted the size and quality of the houses to gradually degenerate as a visitor traveled west. In your case, using that technique might help your players distinguish between your old and new neighborhoods. (There's a larger version of it on my portfolio page, but I can't figure out how to link to it through the freewebs photo album function.)

About the bridges: I like them. While the flying wagons and such add a really unique twist to the city (and I'm not saying you shouldn't use them), there still might be foot traffic in the city, and perhaps not everyone can afford flying machinery to get from point A to point B. Purely a matter of preference, I know, but there's my two cents.

Lastly, and this may not be applicable since your map is still under construction, but will there be any park areas or green space for the wealthier citizens? Those types of spaces break up blocks of housing rather nicely, I think.

Lorne

He mentioned above that he is using the random streets, and that there are no flying vehicles as they are too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller
    He mentioned above that he is using the random streets, and that there are no flying vehicles as they are too expensive.
    So he did. I stand corrected.

Lorne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12