Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Grimmsmouth

Hi Mouse,

Thanks so much for having a look and commenting

And thanks for the complicated mind compliment. The really worrying thing is that Grimmsmouth is only one city I've planned to draw like this in an entire world which also has to be mapped! Aim for the stars I suppose

I can totally relate to the archive of OS maps. That's what we used in my previous job until we designed a GIS to replace the system. The applications of the new system are fantastic but to people like us there's something lost in not being able to roll out a large sheet of paper on a table (while having a nice cup of tea). Oh and that's totally true about the Victorians, I've been reading about them in researching this work and some of the engineering feats they took on were incredible in their scale and complexity.

Thanks again for the comments

Your welcome

And as for the apparently humungous task, Don't give up. You will probably get faster and faster at it the more you do, until memories of this first city will make you smile. You just haven't discovered all the short cuts yet, that's all

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected darcycardinal's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Weery,

the map is progressing nice - I like that you took out the topography lines and expanding the map. The size of it must be a memory hog and a beast to work with, but it looks like it is paying off. I wonder if there is a way to add some sort of highlighting to the roads to make them pop out a bit more? Other than that, the style is clean and cut.

-darcycardinal

I'm curious, what are you using to make this? PS? Or a vector program?

Hi Darcy,

Thanks so much for having a look and commenting. You're right about the red topography lines (but I may have to sneak them back in as thin, reduced opacity black lines at some point ). And yes, the size of these maps make them a real pain to work with. But I feel it's necessary for me to get a proper feel for each region and how the various townlands and parishes interact with each other. For example, it was only in seeing the first map as a whole that I realised I needed a canal to run to the docks for industry and transportation.

I'm not certain if I can highlight the roads without a lot of labour. They are a negative space you see. Also, I'm going to be highlighting or outerglowing the street names at some point so there is work to be done there yet

Hi Falconius,

Thanks for having a look and your query.

Although I use some shapes (for parish and townland boundaries), this is done completely in PS.

Thanks again

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected darcycardinal's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Weery View Post
    Hi Darcy,

Thanks so much for having a look and commenting. You're right about the red topography lines (but I may have to sneak them back in as thin, reduced opacity black lines at some point ). And yes, the size of these maps make them a real pain to work with. But I feel it's necessary for me to get a proper feel for each region and how the various townlands and parishes interact with each other. For example, it was only in seeing the first map as a whole that I realised I needed a canal to run to the docks for industry and transportation.

I'm not certain if I can highlight the roads without a lot of labour. They are a negative space you see. Also, I'm going to be highlighting or outerglowing the street names at some point so there is work to be done there yet

Hi Falconius,

Thanks for having a look and your query.

Although I use some shapes (for parish and townland boundaries), this is done completely in PS.

Thanks again
    Judging from the size of the file you uploaded, working with layers must be taxing on the memory. Have you considered cutting up the map in sections and then stitching them together when you want to showcase your progress? I have seen others do it once their maps get passed a certain point. I presume some of the lots to the north are homesteads/estate lots?

-darcycardinal

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Very nice, very detailed. I'm also fond of Victorian-styled city maps.

I also was tempted to use drop shadowing or embossing on my buildings but I'm not satisfied it gives an authentic effect, up to you though of course

Hi Darcy,

I may take your advice on cutting the working documents up as it does get quite resource heavy. Thanks. Also, the land to the north of the city contains some estates but along the canal a more structured city development plan is in operation with terraced housing appearing. Further north (over the canal) are a couple of small villages which have grown in size with the arrival of the canal and then the main Whittle-Grimmsmouth rail way line. Thanks again.

Hi Robulous,

Thanks for having a look and commenting. I take your point regarding the drop shadow. I have considered it to be too large in this case but there is a fair argument to be made for removing it altogether. It is worth noting that some of the older (mid-19th century) OS maps in both Britain and Ireland do contain drop shadows but these tend to disappear in later iterations.

For my own map it will come down to which I think looks best but I'm I am reconsidering the drop shadow following your pointing it out to me. It may look better without it.

Thanks again

I really like the drop shadow in places where it indicates height differences such as on Dockhouse road for Dock 1 and 2 as well as the entire water line. Now that it has been pointed out however the dropshadow on the structures seems a bit too strong though.

Hi Falconius,

Yes, I agree with you. Having made some progress and changed the drop shadows following both yours and Robulous's advice, I think I'm happier now.

Attachment 86584

On a side note I'm delighted with all the feedback I've gotten so far regarding this project. It really is helping me address the details. And some of those details might need my help

Thanks again.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast