Thread: Experiment on town mapping.

Guild Novice

Map Experiment on town mapping.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map1SepiaText.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	7.79 MB 
ID:	84981

So I had wanted to try using a graphics program to make old-style illustrated maps for use in gaming, but without spending a ridiculous amount of time on them as my players weren't going to wait a month to explore every new town. Originally, I had drawn a bunch of elements to use about 5 years ago, but only now got around to scanning them in and using them. However, what I thought I had drawn in isometric perspective, was anything but...

Yesterday I used some isometric graph paper I'd dug up, and re-drew most of the structures. So here is my first attempt, using Gimp. Any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

-Mick

Those elements are fabulous! What a great idea.

Some shading would be nice and the colours need to be cleaned up, but that's an awesome idea for a quick city. Have some rep!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Nice, I agree with the shading, but man I am more interested in the game... That city/town is very, umm, diverse to say the least. But you pull it off nicely.
    Anywho, keep it up

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected darcycardinal's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mkoth View Post
    So I had wanted to try using a graphics program to make old-style illustrated maps for use in gaming, but without spending a ridiculous amount of time on them as my players weren't going to wait a month to explore every new town. Originally, I had drawn a bunch of elements to use about 5 years ago, but only now got around to scanning them in and using them. However, what I thought I had drawn in isometric perspective, was anything but...

Yesterday I used some isometric graph paper I'd dug up, and re-drew most of the structures. So here is my first attempt, using Gimp. Any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

-Mick
    Hello Mick,

So what I see looks good, as other have mentioned, a bit of shading would further enhance the buildings. I don't see much of use of isometric view, so i find these illustrations unique. How big is this game intended to be? Looks like an ambitious project!

-darcycardinal

Guild Novice

Thanks for the suggestions! This morning I went through and added basic shading to my elements. Now, I'm going to convert a copy of them into ruins. After that, I need to draw some more structures such as slums, an evil temple, and round wizard towers (including ruins). Also, better rendered trees and shrubbery. Once I get done with all of that, I move on to more countryside/overland elements. Later, I plan on Sci-Fi elements.

I run and play pen and paper rpgs for those of you who are curious. I have a gaming blog that I use to show off my artwork and my rules changes, the Horrors of Anglypur and Corporate Space.

I love the style of this. It's gorgeous and so inviting. The buildings are fantastic!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    I love the style of this. It's gorgeous and so inviting. The buildings are fantastic!

Name:	Map1ruinedbluebord.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	5.94 MB 
ID:	85043

Oh No! What happened!?!

(Yeah, I know. The ground. Rubble elements and a grass active pen coming...)

What have you done to that lovely little town?!

Looking good and some rubble will make it great.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I love these two! Man, you sure know how to ruin a city!!! why didn't you join the lite mapping challenge?!? This is fantastic!

Shading aside, which others have mentioned. I like the eerie factor of this second map. well done!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Guild Novice

Name:	map3.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	7.67 MB 
ID:	85140

Okay, made a cobblestone pattern for the streets and pen for grass. All these elements are brand new, basically some trees and 3 story buildings (both clean and ruined) for more variety when I make a finished map.

Is the shading a strong enough contrast?

Sorry about the sloppiness of the painting. Will be tighter once I make a 'finished' map.

Also, the bridge is modular, so I can make it as long as is required.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast