Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilbur for Mac?

Default Wilbur for Mac?

Is there any software available for Mac (even if expensive) that has similar functionality to Wilbur? I have Gimp for the artistic stuff, but I need a terrain editor and erosion modeler.

You can run Wilbur on Wine to some degree. The major functionality is there. Some of the ancillary features like the 3d view are… tetchy. But heightfield painting and generation all work properly.
    If it helps, I went through the steps I used setting up Wilbur on Wineskin on my blog.

I've never had great luck with Wine under Linux. I doubt I'll do much better under OS X...

But I'm Bootcamping Windows 7 for the time being, anyway. Just to run Wilbur, if that's any indication of what I'm going through. The Mac zealots like to claim that you never really need to Bootcamp, though, since you can find Mac software comparable to anything Windows. Which is clearly a lie, but I thought I'd ask.

I'm also having a problem with Fill Basins. I'm pretty sure that it'a a memory issue since I'm starting with an immense file, 16384x8192, but I guess it can't hurt to ask. I'm starting with this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenie1.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	972.5 KB 
ID:	85141

That's just a small part of the whole map. When I try to Fill Basins I get odd cutoffs creating cliffs:

Name:	Screenie2.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	952.6 KB 
ID:	85142

The reason I'm pretty sure it's a memory issue is that when I crop the image size down Basin Fill seems to work correctly, and I get this:

Name:	Screenie3.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	85143

But I'd really rather not chop the image into pieces, Fill them, and try to puzzle them back together if I don't need to.

But if I do need to, is there a simple way to split an MDR file up into smaller images and then paste them back together?

I guess another question of mine is: Is there a way for Wilbur to handle below-sea-level depressions? (I mean, dry land depressions that aren't filled with water.)
    Last edited by acrosome; 07-11-2016 at 11:37 AM.

I believe that zealots would respond to your concerns either with "clearly you don't need to run that software, then" or stick their fingers in their ears and go "LALALALALA" until you go away. Not that I have had any experience with such folks, you understand. Certainly no bad experience with those who know the Truth (capital T) and seek to destroy heretics. Nope, none at all.

The fill basins process is recursive and there is an upper limit on the recursion. Basically, that means that there is an upper limit to the size at which basin fills will work and the fill just stops at that point. I do not know what the precise size is, but you seem have found something larger than allowed. Chopping the image into pieces may be problematic unless you chop at appropriate boundaries.

There isn't a really simple way to split or merge MDR files, sadly.

And no, Wilbur can't handle water levels of varying heights (that would require another height field that specifies that water level: Fractal Terrains has that feature, but Wilbur doesn't).

I've seen zealots on both sides of that equation. For my own purposes, I like leaving maintenance of Windows to the IT people at work.

"Bah, we're not zealots, we're just regular folks! It's them guys over there that are zealots! Get them!"

http://www.fracterra.com/Wilbur_183x64.zip is a special x64-only build of Wilbur 1.82 that ups the recursion limit by a factor of 100 if you would like to try it. It's just the bare executable in a zip file and it was compiled with Visual Studio 2015 update 2 so you might need the redistributable for that.

I think you're speaking English, there- I can almost understand you.

I'll have to google around to see what you mean by "needing the redistributable", but I'll look into it. Thanks! I'll post here with results, but it might take me a week or two.

Okay, I'm going to steer this away from religion and back to the subject at hand.

I never had any luck at all with WINE until I found Wineskin on a page explaining how to set up Orbiter on the Mac. Wineskin puts a friendly GUI over the ugliness of WINE. I made the thing work on my increasingly archaic MacBook with a no longer supported OS, your mileage should be no worse.

I think my problems using OpenGL with Wilbur may owe to the same problem I'm having with OpenGL on Firefox and Chrome: an old, poorly-supported Intel GPU. If your GPU dates from sometime after Hammurabi, you shouldn't have as much trouble.

I had to make some changes in Screen Options to get it going, but it wasn't terribly hard. Let me know how it goes if you try it. If you have any questions, try checking out the blog I linked to earlier or drop it here.

To use the 64-bit version, you'll need the 64-bit version of Windows and either Bootcamp or some virtual machine app. WINE can't do 64-bit on the Mac, there's a processor conflict over a particular register that 64-bit Windows and MacOS both reserve to specific(and different) purposes. That probably won't be fixed anytime soon. If ever.

Good luck, mate!

Blog Entries

unknown for apple ,but most *nix installs will also have "q4wine"
    a QT based front end
    but the normal motif like wine gui works fine

now using "wine-tricks" script is normally the easiest way to install needed things like whatever version of dotnet is needed or some dll

and as above 64 bit in wine really dose not work
    99% of windows software IS 32 bit , though some is recompiled on a 64 bit machine but the code is the same

zealots ?? well use the best tool for the job within reason
    sometimes one needs to use Microsoft , but it has been MANY months ( if not years) that i have needed to boot into a windows os to get something done
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast