Thread: What would it cost to get a fantasy map done?

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Question What would it cost to get a fantasy map done?

Hey I am interested in getting a fantasy map done and I would like to know how much a commission like that would cost.

It would be a relatively small map, an island and a mainland.

Thanks!

The cost depend on the size and quality and the map. Also, every artist can have a different way to rate a commission.
    Consider that even a small map can take a couple of hours to complete. Multiply that number of hours with a average wage and you get the idea.

People don't like to discuss their rates in public but will give all the details if you post a commission order, in private.

Hey Brandon! Prices vary quite a lot depending on style, quality, colour/B&W, ect.. You might be able to get a full colour map from a hobbyist for under a hundred dollars but from a professional maybe a few hundred dollars. It's best to talk to different artists in private to get an idea for price.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

I agree with Azelor and Josiah VE. :-) (Sort of a ME TO message I guess)

But the reason I am posting is - have you tried to do this yourself? You won't get a professional looking map, but you could wind up with one you can live with. If you decide to try it....

1. First make a hand drawing if you can.
    2. Scan in your hand drawing at a reasonable DPI (like 300dpi or 600dpi). If nothing else you probably would need something like this to send to a professional artist anyway.
    3. Use your favorite drawing program. You can even use MS Paint.
    4. Load in your scanned drawing.
    5. Create a new layer on top of your drawing. If the program you are using does not support layers - you may want to try one of the free programs like GIMP or Inkscape.
    6. Drawing on the new layer, draw over your hand drawn image.
    7. Go to Google and download some free icons or images for buildings, trees, and the like.
    8. Drag or load in and move around the icons/images you downloaded from #7.
    9. Post your results here, on this website under the right group/area/section/whatever you want to call it.
    10. Get feedback on how you can improve it.
    11. Go back to your graphics program and implement the changes. (ie: Go to #3 above)
    12. Repeat as necessary.
    13. Have fun! :-)

By the way - this is basically what a professional artist does too only you replace asking for help with he talks with you about the drawing and makes changes until you are satisfied with what he has done.

And no - I'm no where near professional grade on my maps. I just make do with what I can do. :-)
    Unless otherwise stated, all my works are protected under CC BY-NC-ND.
    Photo Album : http://www.cartographersguild.com/album.php?u=88001

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Thanks for the information guys. I could do it myself I just don't know if it is worth the time to get it how I want.
    I may post a rough draft sometime soon and maybe you can give some feedback.