Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ethran: Merelan Observatory

Thanks Bogie. Glad you enjoyed the tour of the Observatory, even if it is a little unfinished As you can see, there are now so many wonderful objects available to us, thanks to people like you, that there are times when drawing a map is more like doing a montage - and a lot of fun

That vertical scope might just be the one I'm looking for, and will save me oodles of time trying to draw the thing, though I will have to see what I can do about carving or engraving the name on the side of its barrel. It seems almost a shame to have it covered by the dome, but it has to be that way because of the predators in the sky. I'll see what I can do about making the glass just a little more transparent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    That vertical scope might just be the one I'm looking for (SNIP) It seems almost a shame to have it covered by the dome, but it has to be that way because of the predators in the sky. I'll see what I can do about making the glass just a little more transparent.
    I would think you would want to do two things:

1) Have the dome above the telescope on the overall view of the complex but set the transparency level so that the telescope clearly is visible through it.

2) Also have a dungeon map of the building level upon which the telescope stands and have that without the dome glass. Usually, when we do interior floor plans, we leave the roof away, so that one can see what's beneath it. The dome is nothing more than another type of roof. Therefore, it also would be absent on the floor plan, as opposed to the complex map. I'm referring here to your floor plan for the forth story or (European numbering) third floor.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Oliva View Post
    I would think you would want to do two things:

1) Have the dome above the telescope on the overall view of the complex but set the transparency level so that the telescope clearly is visible through it.

2) Also have a dungeon map of the building level upon which the telescope stands and have that without the dome glass. Usually, when we do interior floor plans, we leave the roof away, so that one can see what's beneath it. The dome is nothing more than another type of roof. Therefore, it also would be absent on the floor plan, as opposed to the complex map. I'm referring here to your floor plan for the forth story or (European numbering) third floor.
    Ah ha! Well there you go. My lack of experience is showing through LOL. Thanks for the advice, Mark

Please don't get me started on story and floor differences. I get confused about all of that, which is why I used 'level' instead... please don't tell me that American levels are different to English ones! LOL again!

I hadn't thought of naming it anything, but now you mention it... but of course - Domar's 'baby' would have a woman's name, wouldn't she

Yes - deal! The telescope is now called Lorelei
    Excellent. Even if you use Bogie's symbol? (hey, Bogie, don't try to steal my thunder. lol.)

Quote Originally Posted by lorelei View Post
    Excellent. Even if you use Bogie's symbol? (hey, Bogie, don't try to steal my thunder. lol.)
    Hey Lorelei. Now would I go and do a thing like that?

AND... I don't think it sounds quite right - that a slightly nutty old astronomer should be tenderly polishing the name plate on a telescope called "Bogie"! (I think Bogie might have something to say about that too LOL).

Maybe I'll put "Bogie Engineering Ltd" around the base mount... if he doesn't mind, that is

Please don't get me started on story and floor differences. I get confused about all of that, which is why I used 'level' instead... please don't tell me that American levels are different to English ones! LOL again!
    Hmmm. But if you know it, you'll understand some things here a bit better.

European ground floor = American first floor or story
    European first floor = American second floor or story
    etc.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

So all I've done by calling my floors levels and trying to steer clear of either convention, is to stick to the English way anyway! LOL

To us crazy Americans Ground floor and First floor mean the same thing, and most taller building don't have a 13th floor, because that is just asking for bad luck.

You can name the Telescope anything you want, I did not create it. It was posted on Dundjinni by RKelleg, I simply shared it with you. The other one was made by GreyTale ( Greg Taylor )

Greg's telescope is the brown one lying flat. Be warned that you may use Greg's version only for non-commercial applications. He does not allow commercial use of his symbols.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    To us crazy Americans Ground floor and First floor mean the same thing, and most taller building don't have a 13th floor, because that is just asking for bad luck.

You can name the Telescope anything you want, I did not create it. It was posted on Dundjinni by RKelleg, I simply shared it with you. The other one was made by GreyTale ( Greg Taylor )
    I didn't know Americans were so superstitious! Wow... that opens up a whole lot of plot opportunities. And there I was thinking that a superstitious character would be laughed out of the shop.

As far as naming the scope goes - in acknowledgement of all the help my friends have given me, I like to add little details to the story that will make them smile - a sort of private joke between me and them, but nothing that anyone else would necessarily notice or realise.

I haven't decided what to do about Mark and Ladiestorm just yet, but I'm working on it...

Thanks for sharing the scopes
    Last edited by Mouse; 07-16-2016 at 05:15 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast