Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethran: Merelan City

Way to go Mark! Thank you

Blog Entries

Yes - c'mon Robulous lets all stay civil around here ! I am sure it was a joke with the lol smiley etc. I mean - the whole guilds web theme is a very similar shade if you want to make those kind of comparisons...

Anyways, I think your map is coming along just fine

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Anyways, I think your map is coming along just fine
    Thank you Redrobes. An honour to see you here

Map

I've put the first sheet of ocean in - the shallows. Much of this pale green-blue ocean will be covered by further layers of deep water away from the island, and a line of surf will be shown at the shoreline where the rocks meet the water, but for now this single sheet will suffice to show the shape of the sea and the land put back together now that I have finished working on the shape of the land mass. This image is turning out to be a bit of a hybrid of different styles. The sand is a pale version of Bogies sand, the rock is Dundjinni cliff, and the water is my favourite so far - Herwin Weilink.

I think its worth pointing out here that I never regard anything about a drawing as being finished until the whole drawing starts to pull together by means of a thousand different tweaks towards the end, so where you see things that don't really work all that well together right now, these will gradually be adjusted as I work through towards that point of completion. I don't worry about textures noticeably repeating themselves (as with the cliff texture in the landmass) because worrying about something that is due to be covered up almost entirely by the next layer to go on the land is a waste of time.

Also, I am familiar with the use of the word Layer in the Photoshop sense, although in CC3 these are called Sheets, so you will catch me using both, sometimes in the same sentence. I apologise if this is confusing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V5.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	3.52 MB 
ID:	85267  
    Last edited by Mouse; 07-14-2016 at 06:49 PM.

Things are advancing not only nicely but also in an interesting manner. One always looks forward to the next chapter. I have to be careful I don't get addicted to this project. It could be a trap, like a cartographic soap opera. Onward and upward!
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

I'd better start thinking up a few new characters to keep the interest going then, because I'm sat here right now scratching my head about how to depict the cliff dwellings. LOL. I might just chicken out of having to do that for a day or two and finish the sea first.

None of this would have been possible without the hours of help, guidance, and mapping goodies you have provided

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Oliva View Post
    Things are advancing not only nicely but also in an interesting manner. One always looks forward to the next chapter. I have to be careful I don't get addicted to this project. It could be a trap, like a cartographic soap opera. Onward and upward!
    Well, one good trap deserves another, wouldn't you say, Mark? After all, you trapped Mouse and me!

Mouse, I would say this is looking g fabulous so far! I'm on pins and needles waiting to see how this develops!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    Well, one good trap deserves another, wouldn't you say, Mark? After all, you trapped Mouse and me!

Mouse, I would say this is looking g fabulous so far! I'm on pins and needles waiting to see how this develops!
    Yes he did, indeed! Good point Ladiestorm

I'm still strugging with a bit of a sheet problem (don't panic, its me, not the software), but I hope to have the sea sorted out soon - all bar the white bits. I'm going to wait till the very end to do them. It depends how 'busy' the picture looks with the city all built up in place, as to how much foam I put on the waves

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

It was a joke, good grief you stiff necks need to lighten up.

Map

Version 6... I thought I'd better start numbering these, or we might get a bit confused somewhere down the line.

I've got the colours of the ocean the way I want them, but the contours are slightly off. There needs to be a much steeper drop into the depths where the rocks disappear into the waves without any beach (I think). I don't know really. Its one of those things I'll probably see straight away tomorrow morning.

I added a wet sand Sheet over the beach area and used it to create damp channels across the salt marsh/market area. Think I've just about got the colour right.

I also started adding HSL altered Bogie grass to the Flats, where the fish market is. Not happy with the paths through it - too wide, evenly spaced and well laid out. I have a feeling this is going to take me a very long time to complete, because to do finer detail I'm going to have to knock off the edge fade altogether and set about drawing individual clumps. Everything on this map is a lot tinier and more detailed than I first thought it was going to be, but then, I do have to fit an entire city on the island!

Let me know if you have any thoughts on what I've done so far?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V6.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	3.71 MB 
ID:	85287  
    Last edited by Mouse; 07-15-2016 at 04:27 PM.

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast