Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethran: Merelan City

I'm really liking it so far! I love the ocean colors. Not quite sure,yet, what I'm seeing g on the land, but I'm assuming that's because you haven't really developed it.

I will admit, I'm not sure how the surf will work, with the way you have the map so far....maybe if it's in just certain places, and not all the way around? Like maybe some of the inner curves of the beach?

Anyway, that's my 2cents. .

Just so you all don't think I'm ignoring you, I'm headed out of town to an area with NO internet, not even my phone...so I will be out of the loop for the next 3days.

See you in the flip side!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Mouse: That water is looking pretty amazing!

Is there any way in your software to do a bit of an overlay with a secondary texture to break up the repeats in your main texture (on the rocks/mountains? If you don't know what I'm getting at I can try to amplify.
    M

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    It was a joke, good grief you stiff necks need to lighten up.
    Errr No ! I don't think so.

I know it was a joke. I even said so. And I know that you like a bit of a jape with maps such as Valpolicella and the Brexit satire etc, I found those quite humourous and I said that in those threads too. But theres a difference. On them it was your own work or satire at the world. This time its different. When you say "your map looks like a turd" its a personal attack on somebody's work, and in their ability, and as such, in them personally. Personal attacks are against the rules of the forum and I would remind everyone to re-familiarize themselves with them if they are unsure about them.

Offense was taken by several independent members and then moderators get notified and I happened to be online. Now I want to assure everybody that personal attacks will not be tolerated. I will not be told to lighten up by the perpetrators of it when it happens. Robulous, you are out of order for making either of your two comments and the issue here is that whilst I know you think its a joke you don't understand that it was offensive because it was at the expense of someones work.

We can let it slide to some small degree but I will not see this site descend to YouTube comment standards.

Now - unless there is an apology to be made I don't want to see any more remarks made regarding this.

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    I'm really liking it so far! I love the ocean colors. Not quite sure,yet, what I'm seeing g on the land, but I'm assuming that's because you haven't really developed it.

I will admit, I'm not sure how the surf will work, with the way you have the map so far....maybe if it's in just certain places, and not all the way around? Like maybe some of the inner curves of the beach?

Anyway, that's my 2cents. .

Just so you all don't think I'm ignoring you, I'm headed out of town to an area with NO internet, not even my phone...so I will be out of the loop for the next 3days.

See you in the flip side!
    The sea is my thing, Ladiestorm. I live within sight of it. I love it, and can't be without it. I still have a lot of work to do everywhere on the map, including the sea, but I'll bear what you say about the surf in mind.

The land on this map is another matter. Most of what you see in version 6 will disappear - has already disappeared in fact because I changed the texture this morning before I could get online. I'm having a tussle with it, that's for sure. I want to do relief shading like I did with the Ethran map, but the method isn't quite working with the city concept right now, so on the next few versions the land will probably go through some pretty hectic changes in appearance before I'm happy with the result.

Enjoy your break from the web world See you soon!

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Mouse: That water is looking pretty amazing!

Is there any way in your software to do a bit of an overlay with a secondary texture to break up the repeats in your main texture (on the rocks/mountains? If you don't know what I'm getting at I can try to amplify.
    M
    Hi Mearrin69. I don't think we've had the pleasure yet? Welcome to the surprisingly stormy seas of Ethran: Merelan City LOL

I agree with you. Version 6 really shouts "Hey - I'm a repeating texture" doesn't it. It's ever so slightly... a bit "loud".

The thing is that most of what you see is about to be covered over by grass, trees, roads, paths and buildings, and needs to be fairly rough where it does show, so that its readily identifiable as rock, rather than a bit of a path or cobbled way that just got put there by mistake.

I have, as yet, no idea how I'm going to generate the cliffs on this scale - the thousand foot cliffs that drop from the observatory down to the Flats. It was easy enough to do that with layers of symbol rocks alternating with layers of grass in the plan of Merelan Observatory, but that isn't going to be feasible here.

I'm working on it
    Last edited by Mouse; 07-16-2016 at 06:30 AM.

Hey Mouse, nice work so far. If you are going to put a lot of grass & construction over the rocks it should break up the repetitiveness of the texture. That is one of the problems with cgTexures ( or whatever they call themselves now ) their seamless tiles are nice but get very repetitive. I think you will be fine once get more on the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Hey Mouse, nice work so far. If you are going to put a lot of grass & construction over the rocks it should break up the repetitiveness of the texture. That is one of the problems with cgTexures ( or whatever they call themselves now ) their seamless tiles are nice but get very repetitive. I think you will be fine once get more on the map.
    Hey Bogie. Thanks for dropping by. Welcome to Merelan City I'm afraid I can't offer you a drink. I don't have any taverns just yet, but welcome all the same.

Some textures are better than others, and I think this one was one of the more spectacular DundJinni "Cliff" textures - its a really great texture, but you only need to see it in small amounts at a time. For the time being, and so I can work on it without getting blinded by the pattern, I have changed everything to Herwin Wielink "land brown light" and adjusted the HSL to make it look more like limestone. Its a nice calm pattern that's far more subtle than this one. LOL

Loving your grass textures, Bogie

Mouse: Cool. That's more or less what I meant anyway. Once you get some stuff over top of the repeats you won't see them as much or at all. Keep going, it looks great.

Also, have some rep from me.

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Mouse: Cool. That's more or less what I meant anyway. Once you get some stuff over top of the repeats you won't see them as much or at all. Keep going, it looks great.

Also, have some rep from me.
    Aw thanks mearrin69. That's very generous of you

I kind of thought that was what you meant, but I've had a busy morning and my head was spinning a bit. Quite apart from anything else, I lost the main Ethran map and had to reconstruct it from a half way draft. Put me back a good few hours, so I haven't really done very much to Merelan City today. I'll see if it looks any different a bit later on.

Thanks again

Map

Ok. This is version 7.... well... um... part of it. The top left hand quarter of it to be exact.

We all have our little ways with maps, and I'm afraid one of mine is to start fiddling with the details waaaay too soon.

Nothing much has changed over the rest of the map, except that I have changed the land texture to something altogether more soothing - a nice fake limestone effect

I started to mess around with the idea of using bevels for the cliffs, and spent a great deal of time trying to add bevel layer upon bevel layer, getting gradually more and more frustrated. But then I suddenly just hit it somehow by adding the first layers of dry grass and accidentally overlapping an underlying bevel layer. This is shown in the top right hand corner to best effect. Unfortunately I only discovered this about half an hour ago, so I haven't really managed to take advantage of the effect. I got kind of distracted with perfecting the little paths through the shanty town and trying to make them look realistic, and then I got distracted by the placement of trees and tents and the shadows they cast... and so on, and so forth.

I think that admiring that rather gorgeous map of Kharoun by Abu has rubbed off on me. I don't usually cover the page in orange grass, but got a bit carried away LOL. Don't know whether I will leave it that way, or turn it a bit more yellow and traditional.

What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V7.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	3.82 MB 
ID:	85304  

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast