Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Ethran: Merelan City

Version 53 - 'De-spotifying' the houses

This version is actually a test map, despite the filename on the image. It isn't a rendering of the main map, but of a similar one that evolved down a different branch of development. That is why the marsh looks rather different.

I'm showing this variant to you because I've just spent the last 4 days de-spotifying the gothic houses (the grey ones), as I happen to agree with what Snodsy said a few comments ago about my spotty houses. It's just that I never managed to find a solution for the problem until I learned how to make CD3 symbols as a result of needing to make myself a set of self-shading tents

Please can you let me know if you think the spotty houses or the new smooth looking houses look better? I've replaced about half of them in this image.

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Version 53.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	8.55 MB 
ID:	89882

The copyright of this map belongs to Sue Daniel. That means you are breaking the law if you pin, link, redistribute or sell hard or soft copy of this map (or any of its previous versions) without written permission from Sue Daniel: Cartographer’s Guild name “Mouse”; Profantasy Forum name ”Loopysue”.
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-06-2016 at 03:37 PM.

Pfft! Someone will have to re-write the guide book if the spots go

Hmmm, this is a difficult one as the spotty houses look spotty but the ones you have de-spotified look like something from a Monopoly board - too unblemished. I think some spots add to the real character and I didn't really notice them until I saw the de-spotified.

I hope at least one word in there makes sense.

Oh Straf!

You're incorrigible! LOL!

Don't forget that this is only a test

I take it you don't like the new smooth roofs?

EDIT: Ninja'd by Straf! LOL!
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-02-2016 at 05:59 PM.

I think because the map in general is done in a more photo-realism style the smooth roofs don't fit and stand out a bit too much. They're more symbolic against a more artistic backdrop. Also the shading is very hard edge - perhaps you can make it a bit more fuzzy?

I'm beginning to think that you might be right.

I'm also considering mixing things up a bit by using several different styles all mixed together.

Like pasta with sweet and sour curry?

LOL!

Yes - a bit like that

Here are some house texture and colour variations I've been considering using for the city in combination to add greater variety and do away with the spotty houses problem.

The single square house top left in these three images is constructed of simple shaded polygons, and unlike the other houses in the picture is not a symbol but a drawing. It would take far too long for me to draw all the other houses in the city this way, but once I know if the work is worth it I can create a new symbol set of my own with the new roof fill(s). The only question, really, is which one(s) do you think are possibly the best. I have tried to pick a house that is close enough to all the different colours of tree for comparison

Scallop tiles 1: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scallop tiles 1.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	496.6 KB 
ID:	89896

Scallop tiles 2: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scallop tiles 2.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	511.5 KB 
ID:	89897

Scallop tiles 3: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scallop tiles 3.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	492.9 KB 
ID:	89898

Slate is a lot smoother than tiles, and generally comes in three colours; blue green and pink... but I think I may have gone a bit overboard with the smooth thing on these three:

Slate - blue: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slate - blue.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	488.5 KB 
ID:	89901

Slate - green: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slate - green.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	487.9 KB 
ID:	89902

Slate - pink: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slate - pink.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	487.7 KB 
ID:	89903

In fact, I've more or less already decided that I need to go back and increase the contrast on the slate textures
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-03-2016 at 05:48 PM.

I quite like the blue slate.

Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435 LastLast