Thread: Halaiet - A city of Arn

Wip Halaiet - A city of Arn

Hi all - I've been lurking around for a while but never posted before. I recently drew this map and someone recommended I share it here, so I figured why not! I'm not actually sure its a WIP per se - as there's a good chance I'll never touch it again - but as I do have some mild aspirations to filling in some of the details and coloring it, I'll call it a WIP.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Haliaet_1.jpeg 
Views:	148 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	89323

Here is a link to further details, (a few) progress images, and lore. The gist of it is that I had a rough idea of what I wanted from the city, and sketched it out in pencil before inking the city and moving on to the surroundings, which I in turn sketched and inked. My tiny boxes and their layout got slightly more complex as I went on, as did the layout and design of the hinterland.

I hope you guys enjoy, and please let me know if you have any thoughts!

Welcome to the Guild and thanks for sharing with us. Have some rep for including a map with your first post.

I like what you've done with this, and it'd be a shame not to go a little further with labels and maybe a border of some sort. It works well without colours, though colouring would be nice too!

Looking forward to seeing more of your maps.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Looks great to me, the only point of constructive criticism aside from what ChickPea has said is that the tree trunks for the forest go against the top-down perspective of the rest of the map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Welcome to the Guild and thanks for sharing with us. Have some rep for including a map with your first post.

I like what you've done with this, and it'd be a shame not to go a little further with labels and maybe a border of some sort. It works well without colours, though colouring would be nice too!

Looking forward to seeing more of your maps.
    Thanks so much! Re: Labels, are you thinking like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Haliaet_labels.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	6.01 MB 
ID:	89405

Or labels for specific locations on the map?

Quote Originally Posted by Wired
    Looks great to me, the only point of constructive criticism aside from what ChickPea has said is that the tree trunks for the forest go against the top-down perspective of the rest of the map.
    Haha - yeah. In the linked progress images I mention that - after I inked the city I was feeling a bit reckless, and drew and inked the geography in the lower right corner without sketching or planning out the rest of the map, and because of that not only does that corner look weird, but I locked myself into some choices like the tree trunks that I regret in hindsight. Ah well. Thanks for checking it out, and for the comments!

For a first post, that's an awesome one !

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

Very cool look! I like that you decided to keep the pencil sketch underlay, it makes it much more rich IMO. I would try a more firm typeface that reads more clearly. I would also think about simulating the pencil sketches with the Typeface. Yes, it is not necessary, but it can feel very good to have it not as clean as it is otherwise and it can be the feature tying both the traditionally made map and the digital work on it together. Repped, keep up the good work! =)
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Sizeman21's Avatar

Default Awesome Map

I love your city map and everything that surrounds it. Great work.