Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Kronos (reborn) topographic

Thank you zhar2. I didn`t know about it) Unfortunately I can`t fixed it on this map, because it mean that I must redraw all map)) I try to mask it by textures.

Map

I changed img. size. May be it can hide "line erozian".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01_01_2018_Kronos.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	4.56 MB 
ID:	103012  

Very beautiful map! And yes, in the low resolution version the linear valleys aren't really visible anymore.

Thank you, Charerg!

Hi Harrg,

I'm glad I found you! I am on your same path, many months behind. Hoping you can entertain some of my questions:

1) Are you getting your textures from Google Earth? Have you found any way to get higher than their 96 pixels per inch? I wish I could get 300 PPI but no matter what option I use to save, it opens in Photoshop in 96 PPI

2) How did you do your oceans? Google Earth's satellite's don't seem to focus on the oceans too much, because the imagery there is very pixelated or unrealistic at several different heights. It looks like in some early versions you used that wavy pattern but then switched to another aesthetic.

3) Speaking of heights, how far above the earth do your textures translate to?

4) I noticed those little red dots...are those settlements? How did you add those?

5) Any other tips/tricks?

Hello swiss. Thank you for questions)
    1. No I use many simple textures of grass, sand, and ect. I use 300 PPS in photoshop settings, and my file size 988 mb it`s lagging on my computer) I`m not fully understand last part of this questions, sorry for language barrier.
    2. I have 4-5 layers with different transparency. For sand stream I use tool "finger" in photoshop. And some layers for light and dark. I use simple soft dark brush and transparency 6-12%
    3. unfortunately not understand too
    4. Yes I fun with this) Just small brush with texture and in layer option use embossing
    5. I wrote this. I think it can help you https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=30277
    First of all you should make height map. There are many ways for this on this forum. Уou can use tutorial of Arshees, Passis, Pixie. After it you can start work with texturing. I use stamp brush with 15-60% transp. You can mixed different texture to make effects that you want. I love work with many layers for different places.
    About forest. I use one texture. I deleted some pixels for make sieve. And save it like texture pattern. On layer "forest" I use embossing and shadow. And make layer to multiplication effect. With light and color correction you can change this layer to look like real forests. For forests i have 4-5 layers of one texture with different settings to make dark on light forest for different biomes.
    Use layer on top for shadows. I have 2 layers for this. Global shadow with 5-15% transp. and local shadow with 15-25% transp for show deep places.
    Last edited by Harrg; 01-10-2018 at 01:29 PM.

Thanks for the replies!

1) Where do you get your high resolution textures? What I meant by the last part is when I use the Google Earth program (https://www.google.com/earth) and save an image, and then open that image in Photoshop, it has a resolution of 96 pixels per inch. But I want to work in 300 pixels per inch. I'm not sure if I can do that using Google Earth. I may need to use pre-made textures like you.

3) In Google Earth, it tells you your altitude. So from a certain view, it will say something like "200 miles", indicating this is what your view would look like if you were 200 miles (321 kilometers) above the surface. If I had to guess at yours, I would guess 200 miles. But because you are not using Google Earth and just using textures, you may not be able to answer this question.

5) Thanks!

Уou're welcome. You can find textures here www.textures.com or in google search. I use simple textures of grass, sand and rocks and mix it. To make effect of zoom on "200 miles" you should draw by hand and check size of tress, mountains and etc. You also can use this https://zoom.earth/#46.358871,10.227...,pm,2013-08-03 for check your work.

At some point, Harrg, you will need to publish a finished version of this in the Finished Maps thread, so we can give you an Atlas Award for best satellite map ever!

.. it would be well deserved.

Thank you very much Pixie! It`s very warm words. But I`m not sure when I will finish it))

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast