Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP - The Eastern shores of Ehren

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I think color could work fine on this map, but yeah, it would have to be pretty subtle. No really vibrant colors, more purple/red/brownish pastels, maybe a subtle darkish blue around the coastlines, with a really attenuated fade-out so it doesn't look like it's hugging the coast too much.

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I think color could work fine on this map, but yeah, it would have to be pretty subtle. No really vibrant colors, more purple/red/brownish pastels, maybe a subtle darkish blue around the coastlines, with a really attenuated fade-out so it doesn't look like it's hugging the coast too much.
    Thanks Diamond, I appreciate the advice, this is the type of thing I was considering, but I hadn’t thought about you’re idea for the coast, I’ll definitely give that a try when I get around to adding some colour.

Guild Expert

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP Ehren-Lakes.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	9.47 MB 
ID:	85943

I added a few more hilly areas, and got my lakes in. I used a two pixel stroke every ten pixels for the sea rings, then adjusted the opacity to create a faded look, but some of the lakes were two small to fit all three rings and fade properly, and some wern’t affected at all.

I’m wondering if any one has any thoughts on what to do about this. I was thinking I could remove the smaller lakes completely, or just remove the rings from them, but I’m just not sure.

I think it would be a shame to remove the smaller lakes. If you're really not liking the inconsistency of the water lines (personally, I think it looks fine) due to the various sizes, I'd suggest removing the water lines from all the lakes instead. But you might want to hold off on that until you're a bit further along... once you start adding colour and other terrain details, you may find that it doesn't bother you as much.

I'm really enjoying watching this develop. Your linework is clean and beautiful, and I love the ocean/coastline portion. It's so well done, and so interesting with all the islands. Looking forward to seeing this with some colour. I definitely agree that very subtle colour would look great for this map.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Hi!

Great work going on on this map, I love the style!

As for the lakes, I personally think you should keep them as they are, the inside lines give them a more "fantastic" style

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Neyjour View Post
    I think it would be a shame to remove the smaller lakes. If you're really not liking the inconsistency of the water lines (personally, I think it looks fine) due to the various sizes, I'd suggest removing the water lines from all the lakes instead. But you might want to hold off on that until you're a bit further along... once you start adding colour and other terrain details, you may find that it doesn't bother you as much.

I'm really enjoying watching this develop. Your linework is clean and beautiful, and I love the ocean/coastline portion. It's so well done, and so interesting with all the islands. Looking forward to seeing this with some colour. I definitely agree that very subtle colour would look great for this map.
    Thanks Neyjour, I had just started removing lakes when I read you're comment, so I've decided to follow you're advice, and keep the smaller lakes for now. And you're comment on the shore line, and islands is a relief, I was wondering if the islands were too much, so this made me feel allot better about it.

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian2502 View Post
    Hi!

Great work going on on this map, I love the style!

As for the lakes, I personally think you should keep them as they are, the inside lines give them a more "fantastic" style
    Hi Adrian, thank you so much. "fantastic" has a nice ring to it, I appreciate that

Guild Expert

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP Ehren-ridge test.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	9.51 MB 
ID:	86028

I haven't had a whole lot of time to work on this, I did some colour tests that turned out terribly, so I nixed them pretty quick, and decided to just continue on with the line work. I started doing some river placement on the bottom half, I'll probably go over them again, and I haven't decided what colour they'll be, but at least I'll know where they are.

I also decided to do some testing on some ridges on the bottom section, I think I'll add a few more small ones somewhere on the top of the map too, just to even things out a bit.

The few lakes in the lower right corner just weren't working for me, so I moved them slightly, a small change but I think it's better now.

I'm getting pretty antsy to start doing some shading on my mountains, I just want to get all the line work done first.

As always critiques, and suggestions are welcome
    Last edited by kacey; 08-03-2016 at 02:21 AM.

I love the feel of this map. Very atmospheric. Screams fantasy-novel map or p&p rpg map to me...which is a good thing in my book Very much looking forward to where you are going with it. Will you do forests as well? I hope so.
    And, in my humble opinion, not everything has to "even out" ... so don't do ridges just because there are some in the bottom of the map...do them if you think that that's how the world looks like (geographically sound arguments are not absolutely necessary but it's awesome if they are...at least imo) or if it is necessary for the story you want to tell etc. etc. .

Anyway, really nice map, have some Rep. !
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Really nice job with this, you have the touch! Can't say much about other than keep going. I'm sure title panel will develop. Look forward to seeing this come together

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast