View Poll Results: Do you like this challenge suggestion?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 75.00%
  • Maybe/Undecided (please comment)

1 12.50%
  • No

1 12.50%

Thread: Inspirational Landscapes/Scenery (Paintings, Photomanips, and Renderings)

Default Inspirational Landscapes/Scenery (Paintings, Photomanips, and Renderings)

Pick a landscape/scenery painting, photomanip, or rendering that inspires you to create a map!

Example 1:
    Cartographer #1 is inspired by FROSTBURN_cover art by albino-z and maps a battlemap of a snowy/winter castle or fortress, with the immediate surrounding area.

Example 2:
    Cartographer #2 is also inspired by FROSTBURN_cover art by albino-z and maps a battlemap of interconnected snowy/winter ravines, with a blue, glowing, runic monument at the center.

Example 3:
    Cartographer #3 is inspired by Organic valley by AndreeWallin and maps a regional map of tall, spiky mountains with winding rivers, surrounded by a desert with flaming yellow/orange sandstorms (or gasses).

Example 4:
    Cartographer #4 is inspired by Tribe Environment Concept by bpsola and maps a "town & city" style map of an island/tropical/jungle village on stilts.

Example 5:
    Cartographer #5 is inspired Highland Warriors by chvacher and maps a world map with various climate regions, each one including a massive monument that the inhabitants of each of those regions worship.

Example 6:
    Cartographer #6 is inspired by Convocation by FerdinandLadera and maps a space/universe map of two identical planets (one of perpetual summer and one of perpetual winter), whose orbits collide once in a millennium, and the two planets merge into a shared "reality" for a short time period as they pass through each other.

RULES
    In your initial post you must include:

1) A link to the painting/photomanip/rendering that inspired you.
    2) What is was that inspired you, and how/what you plan to map.

Here's a few deviantART categories where you can look for inspiration:

Digital Art > 3-Dimensional Art > Scenes
    Digital Art > Drawings & Paintings > Landscapes & Scenery
    Digital Art > Photomanipulation > Landscapes & Scenery
    Traditional Art > Mixed Media > Landscapes & Scenery
    Traditional Art > Paintings > Landscapes & Scenery
    Last edited by Neyjour; 07-29-2016 at 08:36 PM.

That's a great idea, Neyjour. I think it would spur the entire community into a huge frenzy of activity

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    That's a great idea, Neyjour. I think it would spur the entire community into a huge frenzy of activity
    Thanks!

Oh, and... I'm not trolling you... honest. It just seems to me that whenever I take a five minute breather from pasting my city together to check the activity page, its more often than not your name I find on top of the list. LOL

I'm going to bed soon, so you can have some peace then!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Oh, and... I'm not trolling you... honest. It just seems to me that whenever I take a five minute breather from pasting my city together to check the activity page, its more often than not your name I find on top of the list. LOL
    Hehe. Yeah, I've been abnormally active on the forums recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Neyjour View Post
    Hehe. Yeah, I've been abnormally active on the forums recently.
    It's great when you are. Love this Idea, it would make for a great monthly challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    It's great when you are. Love this Idea, it would make for a great monthly challenge.
    Thanks Bogie!

This is a really great idea.

For some more Deviant Art inspiration: Really enigmatic matte painter, and this photographer and this one who have some absolutely fantastic landscapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    This is a really great idea.

For some more Deviant Art inspiration: Really enigmatic matte painter, and this photographer and this one who have some absolutely fantastic landscapes.
    Thanks!

And thanks for the links. I especially enjoyed donmalo's work!