Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: *** August 2016 Challenge: Random Race, Random Place ***

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default *** August 2016 Challenge: Random Race, Random Place ***

This month's challenge will be another semi-random 'choose your map' type of deal, but a little more focused. It comes in two parts!

For the first part, roll a 12-sided die to determine which race you'll be mapping. You can roll up to THREE times, and select the result you like the best. Obviously we have to rely on the chivalrous honesty of our participants. (And also: I'm watching you! )

For the second part, roll another 12-sided die to determine the place you'll be mapping, Again, You can roll up to THREE times, and select the result you like the best.

If you don't have physical dice of your own, there's a multitude of virtual dice-rollers online, and Wizards of the Coast has an especially good one here: WOTC Dice Roller

The idea here is that you'll be mapping a location built or inhabited by a certain race, with enough variety to (hopefully) not discourage anyone from participating. I've tried to get a good selection of stuff in here.

And now the lists:

RACE

1. Giant (any type)
    2. Human
    3. Lizardman
    4. Dwarf (any type)
    5. Minotaur
    6. Elf (any type)
    7. Ogre
    8. Orc
    9. Gnome
    10. Goblin
    11. Halfling
    12. Merman

PLACE

1. Village or Town
    2. Temple
    3. City
    4. Palace or Fortress
    5. Tower
    6. Dungeon/Catacomb/Sewer System
    7. Small region (part of a kingdom, an area of city-states, a duchy, etc.)
    8. Battlefield (could be a map of a battle's progression, a trench layout, a siege, etc.)
    9. 'Uncivilized' Area (so depending on what race you roll, it could be a steppe of orcish tribes, desolate mountains inhabited by primitive gnomes, etc.)
    10. Large region (kingdom, empire, etc.)
    11. School / University
    12. Stadium or Colosseum

Don't forget to title your threads like so: August 2016 Challenge: <<your title here>>

And PLEASE don't forget to put this hashtag in front of your work-in-progress pictures: ### Latest WIP ###
    If you don't include that, the thumbnail scraper doesn't 'see' your maps... and neither will anyone else when it comes time to vote.

The challenge will run until the evening of Wednesday, August 31st, after which there will be a 3-day voting period. The winner gets a juicy* Golden Compass.

*Are compasses juicy? I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Obviously we have to rely on the chivalrous honesty of our participants. (And also: I'm watching you! )
    Really? I've been watching you all day and you were only watching us part of the time.

OK, that's not creepy......

And I rolled Dwarven Temple .... All Hail the Mighty Forge!!
    Last edited by Bogie; 08-04-2016 at 01:50 AM.

http://dilbert.com/strip/2001-10-25 describes a popular random number generation technique in accounting circles for those that don't have a die handy and for whom using an internet generator would be too much effort.

And I just had the WotC generator above generate the numbers 1, 2, 3 4, 5, 6 in sequence.
    Last edited by waldronate; 08-04-2016 at 02:37 AM.

This looks like another really fun challenge!

Question about the WOTC Dice Roller... what do the Nbr, plus, minus, and Modifier options mean? Or does it not matter? Should I leave everything defaulted, and just click "Roll"?

I'm in, and I'm *determined* to finish this month!

I used the generator and got 8 (orcs) and 9 (uncivilised area). I have an idea already. It popped into my head in the shower this morning (that's where I do my best thinking)
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by Neyjour View Post
    This looks like another really fun challenge!

Question about the WOTC Dice Roller... what do the Nbr, plus, minus, and Modifier options mean? Or does it not matter? Should I leave everything defaulted, and just click "Roll"?
    It sounds like it's so the player can add his or her roll modifiers and just get the end result. I'd say just roll.

Yeah, I didn't change anything on the generator and just clicked 'Roll' twice next to d12.

I somehow missed the part where it said I could have three rolls and just went with the first two numbers I got (think I was nervous cos Diamond was watching!!) Orcs wouldn't have been my first choice, but it's all good.

oh heck...why not? Ok, i got Merman Stadium/Colosseum. I'll try to work something up

I got minotaur battlefield, could be interesting , lets see what do i get in a month (hopefully this time going to finish it)

Quote Originally Posted by lorelei View Post
    oh heck...why not? Ok, i got Merman Stadium/Colosseum. I'll try to work something up
    That's quite a funny combination! I'm thinking it'll need to be a rather watery colosseum (or maybe just an outdoor pool).

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast