Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: City Mapping.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected zhar2's Avatar

I am having some problem with vector derived asests where the lines are too precise, any one have any tips for inskape fo i can crate some line thicknes "noise"?

You can do path to stroke then play with the nodes, but there must be an easier way.

This map has come an awfully long way since I last dropped by to look at it, making it very nearly rep-worthy...

but... (please don't groan)... The roads that come out of the city down what seems to me to be a very steep scarp slope or nearly a cliff - the ones that go down into the river valley... would they not be zig-zagged across the face of the cliff to avoid a near vertical gradient?

(unless of course they are inclines, which would need to be relatively straight)

Quote Originally Posted by zhar2 View Post
    I am having some problem with vector derived asests where the lines are too precise, any one have any tips for inskape fo i can crate some line thicknes "noise"?
    I use jitter nodes to introduce some variance. It's Extensions / Modify Path / Jitter Nodes.

Running it on a stoke will give you a wavy or wobbly line, but with the same thickness. If you convert your lines to paths (stroke to path) as Falconius suggests, then jitter nodes should vary the thickness.

Depending on what you're doing, it can be a bit mental and I often use really low values, between 0.1 - 0.5, and sometimes only displace either the X or Y parameters, but not both. You have to play around with the options to get something that works for you. Also, you may need to add more nodes to give the tool something to work with. It can't do much with a single node at the beginning and another at the end of the line.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zhar2 View Post
    First, the disclaimer, I know very little about InkScape. I wish I started with it ages ago, but I use Illustrator and I'm okay with that. In Illustrator there are stroke width profiles which you can apply to a path to change how it looks, while still maintaining the path as it is:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strokeProfiles.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	87964

It seems like there might be something similar in InkScape?
    http://liamwhite1.deviantart.com/art...iles-424144200

If I knew InkScape better I could probably give you more useful information, but I think the solution is there somewhere.

cheers,
    Meshon

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected zhar2's Avatar

That was super helpful! altough its a bit funky in inkscape. i actually got the aobe suite subscription but i never use it (im not used to using it)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234