Thread: Two Galaxy Maps

Guild Apprentice

Default Two Galaxy Maps

This map started a few years ago, when I started playing with the idea of writing some Sci Fi (rather than fantasy). I ended up needing a map to keep track of how long it would take the characters to get around, so I played around until I ended up with a galaxy map I was happy with:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Galaxy_old.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	86708

I pretty much dropped the entire story and setting because I was busy, but I decided to pick it up again about a month ago.
    Then I realized that with how the setting and story had changed since I started it, the map wouldn't actually work. There are some problems with the fact that space has three dimensions (which I completely ignored when I made the first map), and I also realized that for the setting, the galaxy is much too big for anyone to get anywhere in a reasonable timeframe (even with the FTL I was planning for the story), and the entire story would work better if there was a part of the galaxy that was still unexplored.
    So I began working on a new map.

Name:	Galaxy_new.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	86707

I'm quite happy with the galaxy itself, but I'm not sure about the green for the labels and frame.
    The bottom picture is meant to be more of a schematic view, which is why there are fewer details and no stars in the background.

Your color callouts were pretty successful on the first one, the type over the galaxy on the bottom one is less legible, maybe the white galaxy has just a little more transparency or less white. I'm not crazy about the green border or color behind the key as well. Maybe just the green background of the key is gone and the green wouldn't be so much? Nice job, love the TYPEFACE and the bottom graphic a lot!!

Guild Apprentice

Thanks!
    I'll see if another colour (or at least another green) works better.
    The typeface is this one: http://www.1001freefonts.com/oblivious_font.font (at least in the new version, the old one has a differnt font, but I don't remember what it was called and I don't know if I even still have the file).

Guild Apprentice

A quick update on this map:

Name:	Galaxy_new2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	86816

I've slightly changed the green, and I think it works a bit better now.
    I also added pulsars (used for navigation, like GPS satellites) and FTL routes between the systems.
    The side view has become a bit cluttered, but I think I'm okay with that. I'm still considering if I should add minor outposts outside of the main systems to the map, or if that will add too much clutter to the map.