Thread: Rocky trail / cave maps

Default Rocky trail / cave maps

In my time of using maps I have on occasion been without something that fits the mood of the game I run. With a bit of stock to work with I bashed out a few maps and thought I'd share some of them. All are as generic as can be in terms of features to make them flexible. With stuff like Roll20 you can layer more details on top of a bare map which is nice.

This one just fell together with a little soft colouring to bring out the vegetation and a darkening of the main trail. perfect for an ambush!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountain pass.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	3.30 MB 
ID:	87438

I used this as the entrance to a relatively abandoned mine in the side of a mountain. It's a long fall off the edge to the right.

Name:	Folgar mine entrance.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	87439

This one I made more recently. Technique was much the same as the first one and to be honest I enjoy doing outdoor maps this way due to the natural shadows on the source material.
    Just a hill climb trail.

Name:	winding trail.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	87440

If your interested, my method here is to find some high quality pictures of rock dirt and vegitation then use masks in photoshop to arrange them as I wish for the map. Add some rudimentary shading to bring depth to the image, perhaps a little colour tweaking and your done! I've got this kind of map making down to about 10 - 15 mins which is handy for those clutch prep moments before a session.

Enjoy!

Nice quick VT maps. Nothing too elaborate, but ideal for cutting back on prep time. In the last map however the background texture is really out of focus and contrasts pretty sharply with the sandy trail texture.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh